Newsjack Series 23 - September 2020 Page 3

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 20th September 2020, 10:12 AM

Do they annouce anywhere who the cast is going to be before recording the show?

I know it's a bit late now, but I noticed that the picture for the show on their website has a picture with the actors in it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mqvm.

However, it doesn't have a picture for next week's show, so they might only show it on the same day the show goes out, and not in advance.

Oh, and it literally just appeared on their Twitter as I wrote this, but that is obviously too late if you want to know in advance for your writing.

Nowt for me.

Congrats to all who got emails!

Quote: Dantrobus @ 24th September 2020, 6:50 PM

I got a good email!

Well done ( again ) - good start to this series

Well done Dantrobus and everyone else who gets the e-mails. My in-box is empty sadly

Congratulations Dantrobus

Extraordinary names we have on here, to be sure.

Well done Dantrobus!

Nothing for me this week, alas.

Nothing for me, well done Dantrobus... I've started a rejects thread here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35790/

Thank you, everybody - you're very kind!

My bit was the punniest of my breaking newses:

"A bus passenger was pictured using a live snake as a face mask. Police warned the man that his stunt was ineffective against Covid and may lead to a reptile dysfunction."

So there we go. Onto episode 2, good luck, everybody.

If an old story suddenly becomes really topical again, what are people's opinions on re-submitting bottom drawer sketches? Is it okay or should it be avoided?

Totally fine and good, in my opinion. Especially if it's a sketch that hasn't found a home elsewhere. Good to have another look at it, update it, give it another edit to make it even better.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother submitting sketches.

I'm always there at 11.55 going Agh, no time to edit this... press submit... immediately see a potential improvement.

Quote: Wishus @ 28th September 2020, 12:08 PM

Sometimes I don't know why I bother submitting sketches.

I'm always there at 11.55 going Agh, no time to edit this... press submit... immediately see a potential improvement.

Very relatable! I was right up against the deadline today, trying to get everything for my second sketch pasted into the document and formatted with five minutes to go. At 11.58, realised I hadn't done a proper Kiri intro joke. One very panicky and pretty poor joke later, the sketches went off at 11.59. All the time, wondering if I'd have been better off editing and improving my first sketch rather than rushing this second one. Ah well.

I rushed 2 short sketches in... one of them didn't even get an intro joke *gasp*. Same thing though, pressed send at 11:55 and 5 minutes later thought "oh, it would have been funnier if I'd said , and ha ha, if only I'd added in ....."

Also managed to get in 3 each of BN and GWBW... had the dilemma of needing to ditch one of 4 BNs though! Good luck everyone!

Full set of oneliners now sent off into the big pile of submissions awaiting judgement.

Good luck this week, everybody!

I just got my submission email returned 2 hours after sending as "timed out" trying to deliver :( Anyone else had a problem submitting? :(