Newsjack Series 23 - September 2020 Page 2

I managed to get one sketch in yesterday, a pretty rushed affair but not without its charms. And just sent off a full complement of oneliners. Good luck, fellow Thursday worriers.

Didn't have time to come up with a sketch, but sent in full set of 6 one-liners... looking forward to the rejects thread already :)

Just one sketch yesterday (hubby liked, but I was not happy with my end), and today a full compliment. I wrote 4 Breaking News, and 3 GWBW, one too many! So, because I was a little fonder of my BNs, one got squidged into a GWBW, and I sacrificed one of those I was not so fond of.

Yes, looking forward to the rejects thead too!

Good luck everyone!

I managed to avoid the virus (both figuratively and literally), have a feeling that is going to be this seasons "brexit"

3 breaking news, 2 good / bad for me. Struggled for inspiration over the weekend but a few belated ideas this morning
Good luck all

Yes good luck everyone

I submitted a joke on that alligator ig Nobel prize story and I'm kicking myself because I just realised the much better joke for that story would have been something like:

A team of researchers have one an IG Nobel prize in acoustics for discovering the sounds alligators produce when they inhale helium. Scientists found their roars don't increase in pitch but the alligators instead go 'snap, crackle, pop'

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 22nd September 2020, 5:41 PM

A team of researchers have one an IG Nobel prize in acoustics for discovering the sounds alligators produce when they inhale helium. Scientists found their roars don't increase in pitch but the alligators instead go 'snap, crackle, pop'

I have a thing for liking my latest joke the most, purely because it's new. The above joke is okay, but i think it would have worked better if the set up had something to do with either breakfast or cereal

Very often new takes aren't funnier- they just seem that way to you cos you're bored shitless of the original.

Fair point, Newsjack often go for the now unique punchlines so that one I posted felt more like their sort of joke

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 21st September 2020, 8:46 PM

Anyone know if the new series being recorded without or with a socially distanced audience?

It's all being recorded remotely without an audience.

It was mentioned on the Newsjack Q&A they did the other day which is available on Kiri's Instagram (and worth a listen, I reckon): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CE9413dnXa1/?hl=en

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 20th September 2020, 10:12 AM

Do they annouce anywhere who the cast is going to be before recording the show?

I seem to remember that they do normally announce it on Twitter, but I think it's normally tweeted on the Thursday so no, not before the recording.

Quote: Dantrobus @ 23rd September 2020, 2:29 PM

It's all being recorded remotely without an audience.

It was mentioned on the Newsjack Q&A they did the other day which is available on Kiri's Instagram (and worth a listen, I reckon): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CE9413dnXa1/?hl=en

I seem to remember that they do normally announce it on Twitter, but I think it's normally tweeted on the Thursday so no, not before the recording.

I had no idea they did a Q&A - where did they announce this?

Quote: Inkmonkey @ 20th September 2020, 4:47 PM

This is a stupid question, but I submitted a few things to Newsjack years ago and they've changed the sample sketch format since then - on the latest template there's a 'insert news story reference/relevant link here' line in capital letters, and below that is the sketch title.

Does that just mean they want an introduction dialogue sentence or two first, and then the sketch itself starts? The example sketch on the same page doesn't do it that way, and it seems weird that the title is where it is on the template, but maybe that's how it's always been and I've forgotten.

Quote: Piggler @ 20th September 2020, 7:22 PM

Yeah, just came here to ask that myself. On the website's example, there's the "INTRO: ---" bit under the sketch title. Also, the automatic text font and size underneath the "insert news story/relevant link here" is different to that of the rest of the script.

Last time I tried writing sketches for the show in series 21, I wrote the intro under the "Insert --- here" bit. However, I never got any sketches on. It would be nice to blame this formatting issue, rather than rubbish writing.

Does anyone who's got on the show know the answer?

The 'insert news story' bit is where you put a link to the news story your sketch is referring to, maybe along with a sentence describing the story if you want (though I normally just include a link - i figure that Kiri's intro cue says what the story is anyway). So this bit is not part of the sketch - it's there for if they want to check any facts or to help with rewriting if your sketch makes it that far.

Then the title of your sketch next.

And then Kiri's Intro goes at the first "Name:" cue.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 23rd September 2020, 2:38 PM

I had no idea they did a Q&A - where did they announce this?

I saw it on Twitter, either on Newsjack's (https://twitter.com/NewsjackBBC/status/1303689148851777537?s=20) or Kiri's feed - can't remember. Then finally got around to watching it yesterday.

Just seen a couple of tweets about near misses

I got a good email!