Dad's Army Page 27

Who is that in the back on the right? Frazer ???

Quote: john tregorran @ 2nd July 2020, 7:43 PM

Who is that in the back on the right? Frazer ???

Yes, that's Private Frazer.

John Laurie was a distinguished but not very well-known actor when he took the part of Frazer.

It made him a nationally-known and nationally-loved figure but despite the phenomenal success of the show and his own spectacular rise to fame and all the money it made him, he remained a little disappointed with life for having chosen to heap so much reward upon him for working in a show that was, as he put it, "a load of rubbish".

The others I would have recognized in the street but not him.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd July 2020, 2:36 PM

Nice to see they're out early on reopening day but I might have to report them for poor social distancing. I'm surprised Mainwaring didn't give them a thorough going over on it - "The new rule from HQ is 'one metre plus', now all watch carefully, take one large stride thus, stretch out your arm thus, turn round full circle with outstretched arm thus, take a smaller stride for good measure thus and keep at this distance throughout the day. Any questions?"
Wilson looking effortlessly suave in mufti, even wearing his shirt in the trendy way. :)

The Vicar's pinched Hodges' pint.

Hello everyone - if I may: have been prompted by fellow BCG member Hercules Grytpype Thynne to post here as had a dialogue in another thread concerning the Tom Walls 1938 comedy 'Second Best Bed' https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35648/#P1225929 - which just happened to be my Grandpa's 1st UK film release (that's him standing between the two leading ladies from my own private PR archive. Why mention this? - 'coz Gramps was Mr. Carl Jaffé - your very own Captain Winogrodzki from DA S1E4 'Enemy Within The Gates'. S1 episodes only just survived of course as they had been transferred to film in time before the original VTs were wiped. CJ also reprised his role in the Feb'74 Radio episode adapt and was I think his last ever BBC radio broadcast as he sadly left us for the big Analogue TV-Radiogram in the clouds just before my 13th birthday in April 1974 aged just 72 (heart failure in his sleep according to the DC) but was working as hard as ever right up to and on the day he died according to his generous BBC Radio obituary. Happy to share anecdotes/pix etc... Warm wishes and thanks for the customary BCG welcome. M ;)

I almost forgot - Grandpa worked 1st hand with many Dad's Army types in WW2 since (as a jewish émigré since 1936 being just 4hrs ahead of the nasties escaping on a coal barge from Hamburg and landing at Tower Bridge; at the outbreak of WW2 he was at first an enemy alien then proved his friendly credentials and took the King's Shilling; joining no.3 Royal Pioneer Corps) and being seconded to Devon to head up the Army Theatre (a la It Ain't Half Hot Mum) - Coco The Clown was his corporal! the proceeds of all the shows and skits he helped write/produce/direct and star in helped raise enough to get a Spit for the local Squadron. So I wear RAF cufflinks in his honour. On the lighter side I do have a 1st hand account (his unpublished autobiog) of him being processed by HMG-HO in readiness for transfer from London to Devon... hilarious; it does rather read like a a DA screenplay; happy to share that if you want. That'll be all for now - carry on. M ;)

Welcome again Michael, on this thread. :)

All sounds fascinating, and you must get that published - I for one would certainly buy it, as I'm sure many Dad's Army fans would.

Let me know when it's out!

And I'll mention especially when I see your Grandfather in a film........................ :D

Very interesting. And he knew who won the boat race in 1938 :)

You should share this on the Dad's Army Appreciation Page on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/200110058759?view=info

Thanks for that Prof.Just 72 as you say but he had a full life and mixed with some interesting people.He would have some tales to tell but was probably too discreet :)

Hello Hercules, Billy and John - thanks indeed for your welcome replies. FYI TPTV (Freeview 81) regularly show CJ's films and old TV episodes - so might be making quite a few mentions! - you have to know the films/tv he was in to catch him as he isn't usually listed in the listings - and bar a few exceptions his appearances tend to be quite brief although more oft than not he always seemed to get in with the lead character! BBC2 sometimes do the more highbrow stuff e.g. Colonel Blimp (CJ was Von Ruemann one of the duel moderators) and of course DA. Although they haven't yet repeated his 2 episodes of Oh Brother! from 1968/70 you probably need to view those on Dailymotion. TPTV carried a nice intro feature on him p8 in their Jul/Aug newsletter but they don't archive them for public access so can't give a link but I did download while it was available so can share if you wish. CH has been featured in a few academic research books on German/Jewish exiles/émigrés etc not yet a dedicated publication - it's quite a niche area but am open to discussing with the right publisher. We have all the material and more to make a fair read. I can happily extract his 'comedic' exploits at the Army HQ I referred to and submit to BCG if they wanted to feature it but that would be a site ed. decision I expect and don't wish to appear selfish in lobbing too many requests in off my own bat so if members would like to se anything perhaps a friendly petition to the Ed...? - your call. regarding tales to tell - yes he was indeed as about as discreet as 'actors' can be(!) however he did commit his recollections to paper in his (unpublished) Autobiog which do have some very amusing stories am happy to share. Can also share anecdotes that were inc in the TPTV feature. Don't want to overload the thred or outstay my welcome so a pause here. Well done. Carry on. ;)

I have sent a Private Message to Aaron - the one half of Der Management of the BCG, but he's a busy man at the moment. I'm sure he'd be interested in your material. :)

Welcome to the boards, Professor! Your posts are fascinating and make great reading.

Thank you Hercules & Beaky... we await 'Der Management's' thoughts... delighted to offer these tit-bits of retro-interest. Prof. ;)

Not sure quite what it is you're suggesting but do feel free to share as much as you wish in these forums! A dedicated thread seems best to keep it together.

P.S. Get Oh Brother! on DVD, people! :)