Brothers In Law (1957)

Having seen Richard Attenborough in one "comedy" that showed he was never going to be a comedy actor and not being a big fan of Ian Carmichael, I nearly didn't record this, but glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it, with some genuine laugh out loud moments.

The star for me though was Miles Malleson playing his usual 'not quite with it' part, as a barrister. Also in the film were John Le Mez (superb as ill-tempered judge), Kynaston Reeves (as another crabby judge) Terry-Thomas playing a dodgy spiv, Nicholas Parsons, Irene Handl brief and brilliant, Leslie Phillips very briefly, Eric Barker, Raymond Huntley, Kenneth Griffith briefly, John Schlesinger ! (second time I've seen him in a bit part) and Arthur Mullard in an uncredited "minor role".

Yes, most enjoyable.

I've seen Richard A in a comedy and thought him very good.I wonder if it's the same comedy?
Mine is Only Two Can Play.The oily Probert.: "How are you, Lewis? Still peddling trash to the masses?"

There was a Brothers in Law on the tv too with Richard Briers but I can't remember much about it.

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th September 2020, 7:47 AM

There was a Brothers In Law on the TV too with Richard Briers but I can't remember much about it.

Yes, all based on Henry Cecil's same original novel of the same name. Briers also starred in a later radio version of the sitcom; whilst Donald Sinden took the lead in a one-off radio play before them all.

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th September 2020, 7:47 AM

I've seen Richard A in a comedy and thought him very good.I wonder if it's the same comedy?

The one I'm thinking of, which I think I watched/reviewed sometime ago was "Father's Doing Fine" (1952). IMO it was pitiful, showing Attenborough to be no comic actor.

Have you not seen Private's Progress, Herc? The League Of Gentlemen? Loot?

I've seen The League Of Gentlemen a couple of times - very good film, but is that a comedy in the true sense of the word? Loot I don't know and have Private's Progress on DVD but not watched yet (Bloody TPTV has all my attention at present!)

I think Richard Attenborough is brilliant, for example no one does menace like he does and he's been the star of so many superb films, but I've never considered him as a comedy actor. In I'm Alright Jack for example, he's a slimy toe rag, but funny like Sellers and T-T? Hmmmm..........

Private's Progress is very definitely a precursor to I'm All Right Jack, so do watch that one sharpish.

Brothers In Law is from the same producers: not quite in line with the others in the same way, but very similar. So do continue and watch them all!

Quote: Aaron @ 15th September 2020, 11:11 AM

Yes, all based on Henry Cecil's same original novel of the same name. Briers also starred in a later radio version of the sitcom; whilst Donald Sinden took the lead in a one-off radio play before them all.

Thanks I see Richard Waring was in it too. He was a very prolific sit com writer in the 60/70s.

Yes, he wrote the TV version in fact.