Obscure and forgotten comedy recommendations Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 13th September 2020, 10:00 PM

How're you defining "obscure and forgotten", Ben? Most of those mentioned above have been available on DVD for many years, so whilst they mightn't be Porridge, their obscurity is questionable. But if we're talking about things that just aren't in that celebrated, ever-repeated top tier, I shall raise The Rag Trade and Meet The Wife.

I should have probably stated that ones which have had a DVD release are less likely to be included. And programmes which had multiple series are probably too successful in the grand scheme of things. But there are always exceptions. Many of these shows remain completely unknown to 99% of the population e.g. The Prince of Denmark and Potter.

A perfect example is something like Sweet Sixteen (1983) which I've just finished watching. No commercial release for that and only one repeat on UK Gold as far as I'm aware. A rather average sitcom, but some snappy dialogue and fine performances by Penelope Keith and Christopher Villiers. Also features Richard E Grant in one of his earliest roles which makes for some bonus curiosity.

So, in conclusion, feel free to add anything you think is unusual, obscure or under-celebrated. And I'll have a look.

Then I shall nominate L For Lester and - although it's available on DVD, Galton & Simpson's Casanova '73.

Have you had a look at any of the early comedy playhouse pilots? They might be worth checking if there is any available, I doubt it, but could be worth a try.

Beggar My Neighbour is one you should check out. Has an excellent cast by the sounds of it.

My Wife Next Door

Quote: Wheel @ 13th September 2020, 11:19 PM

Beggar My Neighbour is one you should check out. Has an excellent cast by the sounds of it.

Beggar My Neighbour is a very worthy contender. Wonderful series.

Quote: Wheel @ 13th September 2020, 11:19 PM

Have you had a look at any of the early comedy playhouse pilots? They might be worth checking if there is any available, I doubt it, but could be worth a try.

I've watched a few episodes of Beggar My Neighbour and it's certainly a great series (what survives of it). It will be going in the book, but I keep getting irritated due to the fact that I can't find out why one of the main characters was recast for the second series. Most probably lost to the mists of time. I'm pretty certain I looked through the BBC files for the series at their Written Archives centre, but couldn't find any mention. And that's the sort of anal trivia I love to include!

Quote: Aaron @ 13th September 2020, 11:11 PM

Then I shall nominate L For Lester and - although it's available on DVD, Galton & Simpson's Casanova '73.

L for Lester is in there! Did my piece on that a few weeks back! It's lacking in plot, but Brian Murphy is superb and there are plenty of laughs along the way.

Will have to look into Casanova 73!

All Gas and Gaiters? One from the mid 60s to the early 70s, most of them are lost, but you'd expect it from the time.

Quote: Ben @ 14th September 2020, 7:06 PM

I've watched a few episodes of Beggar My Neighbour and it's certainly a great series (what survives of it). It will be going in the book, but I keep getting irritated due to the fact that I can't find out why one of the main characters was recast for the second series. Most probably lost to the mists of time. I'm pretty certain I looked through the BBC files for the series at their Written Archives centre, but couldn't find any mention. And that's the sort of anal trivia I love to include!

A Google search immediately led to:
"Peter Jones left after the first series saying that he didn't want to get stuck with another long-running role as he had with The Rag Trade (in which he had also co-starred with Reg Varney). For series two and three, Desmond Walter-Ellis played Gerald." https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/beggar-my-neighbour/

If that's the info you were after? If it's a reliable site.

Quote: Kenneth @ 16th September 2020, 11:51 AM

A Google search immediately led to:
"Peter Jones left after the first series saying that he didn't want to get stuck with another long-running role as he had with The Rag Trade (in which he had also co-starred with Reg Varney). For series two and three, Desmond Walter-Ellis played Gerald." https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1960s/beggar-my-neighbour/

If that's the info you were after? If it's a reliable site.

That's interesting, hadn't seen that before - thanks! I'll have to get in touch with them and see what their source is.

Happy Families.

Quote: Ben @ 16th September 2020, 6:02 PM

That's interesting, hadn't seen that before - thanks! I'll have to get in touch with them and see what their source is.

Their source is - indeed most of the site seems to be only barely rewritten from - The Radio Times Guide To TV Comedy.

Quote: Flook @ 14th September 2020, 10:23 AM

My Wife Next Door

I enjoyed watching that too. Hannah Gordon anyway.
Written by the busy Richard Waring.

Quote: john tregorran @ 17th September 2020, 8:04 AM

I enjoyed watching that too. Hannah Gordon anyway.
Written by the busy Richard Waring.

Bought that on DVD last week, need to get around to watching it.

Quote: Wheel @ 14th September 2020, 8:30 PM

All Gas and Gaiters? One from the mid 60s to the early 70s, most of them are lost, but you'd expect it from the time.

That's a good one with the fearsome Pugh-Critchleys.

"....she could be a friend for you my dear,I know you've always wanted one."

All Gas & Gaiters is one of the very best, but with multiple series of its own, a radio adaptation, two effective spin-offs and DVD releases, it probably doesn't meet Ben's requirements for either obscure or forgotten.