Men Behaving Badly Page 3

I just watched the series on DVD hadn't watched it for 2 or 3 years until the past week and brought back some great memories. The Young Ones was quite good as well.

Found this on Amazon Prime recently and watched first three series with girlfriend who seemed to feel it was all too representative of our early days. Some bits have dated and the casual homophobia probably wouldn't make it past the BBC commissioners but its still funny. Also strange looking back on a contemporary comedy with no internet or mobiles phones. I suspect any modern remake would have to include an episode on browser histories rather than magazines.

Still finding this hilariously funny, and just watched Series 3 Episode 3 "Casualties", where I had to do a double take, as there was a barely recognisable Catherine Tate in a bit part.

Just finished watching Series 4 from my (legit) box-set, and it had the hilarious "In Bed with Dorothy" in it, where she has had her appendix out and Tony has to wear glasses - the scene where the three of them are sitting watching television, and Tony comes in to sit with them hoping no one notices when he puts his "bins" on, at which Gary finds it impossible not to laugh - soooo funny. 😂🤣

EDIT: Also, Richard Pearson, who played Gary's dad in Series 4 previous Episode 4 (when Gary treated him like dirt) was in the film "The Blue Parrot" I just watched again on TPTV, which I found slightly more interesting second time round, and he played the police Sgt. to Ballard Berkley's police Superintendent.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/10/#P1212585

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th October 2023, 12:04 AM

EDIT: Also, Richard Pearson, who played Gary's dad in Series 4 previous Episode 4 (when Gary treated him like dirt) was in the film "The Blue Parrot" I just watched again on TPTV, which I found slightly more interesting second time round, and he played the police Sgt. to Ballard Berkley's police Superintendent.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35193/10/#P1212585

Ah, I wouldn't have known his name offhand, but I remember he was also in an episode of One Foot in the Grave as Victor's brother. Funnily enough, the characters he played in Men Behaving Badly and One Foot in the Grave were very similar, i.e. a really fussy and irritating close relative of a main character...

As I remember it, in MBB (as Gary's dad) he keeps getting on Gary's nerves until Gary loses his temper and says something like "oh, go home, you old fool!" and then Gary feels bad about it. And in One Foot in the Grave, his character (as Victor's brother) finds a tape recording that had inadvertently recorded Victor talking to Margaret and saying something like "why doesn't he get the message, in the name of god, go!"

Just looking up cast members I see that Richard Kid Strange from the Doctors of Madness apparently appeared in this but I don't remember when.

What I was looking for was Ian Lindsay who played ultra-mild George in Gary's office. I saw him yesterday in the Upper Hand as a school Head Master.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th October 2023, 12:04 AM

Just finished watching Series 4 from my (legit) box-set, and it had the hilarious "In Bed with Dorothy" in it, where she has had her appendix out and Tony has to wear glasses - the scene where the three of them are sitting watching television, and Tony comes in to sit with them hoping no one notices when he puts his "bins" on, at which Gary finds it impossible not to laugh - soooo funny. 😂🤣

I think that episode is the apex of Simon Nye's comic writing, it's a masterclass in comic construction and payoff.

It's ultimately Martin Clunes who makes this series for me as he is absolutely brilliant, and very very funny, getting every ounce of humour out the script with his facial expressions etc. - for example his stifled laughter at Tony's glasses, until he can contain himself no more is superb!! 😂

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th October 2023, 9:09 AM

It's ultimately Martin Clunes who makes this series for me as he is absolutely brilliant, and very very funny, getting every ounce of humour out the script with his facial expressions etc. - for example his stifled laughter at Tony's glasses, until he can contain himself no more is superb!! 😂

And that snappy glasses case.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th October 2023, 5:37 PM

And that snappy glasses case.

And one of those little yellow cloths for wiping them!

🙂