Obscure and forgotten comedy recommendations

I'm currently in the process of writing a book which takes a look at British comedies which came and went without much fanfare or simply haven't had much written about them. I've already written about quite a few, but recommendations are always welcome as there is so much out there.

Really old sitcoms (pre-1970-ish) are mostly out as most of the footage from this era simply doesn't exist any more. And I need to watch these shows to write about them with some measure of authority. Saying that, I have covered The Gnomes of Dulwich (1969) as I read through a few of the scripts a couple of years back. And I watched the one surviving episode of Hugh and I Spy a while back as well, so that's in there too. In conclusion: list anything odd and unusual from the past.

Thanks!

You probably have Harry Worth tabbed

This Guy should have had a show https://youtu.be/d2-uqLvlGeM

Quote: Flook @ 10th September 2020, 5:19 PM

You probably have Harry Worth tabbed

This Guy should have had a show https://youtu.be/d2-uqLvlGeM

I'm definitely including one of Worth's later shows Oh Happy Band!

Just A Gigolo, starring Tony Slattery as a teacher and gigolo. I mention this because whenever I imagine Ben, I imagine a young Slattery.

Marriage Lines https://youtu.be/8guL51S-g6o

There was a warm up artist I recall being given a pilot. I think he only lasted the one show he was ..quite dismal. - Opening birthday cards he had sent tohimself sort of gags

What about "I didn't know you cared?"

Quote: chipolata @ 10th September 2020, 6:03 PM

Just A Gigolo, starring Tony Slattery as a teacher and gigolo. I mention this because whenever I imagine Ben, I imagine a young Slattery.

I watched that last year (or maybe early this year) and found it pretty tough going. Not sure I could handle going over that again. And I'm a Slattery fan. His turns in Behind the Bike Shed are sublime.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th September 2020, 8:49 PM

What about "I didn't know you cared?"

Hadn't heard of that one, will take a look!

I presume the "lovely" was ironic.

I have a soft spot for The Squirrels by Eric Chappel

Not forgotten perhaps but eclipsed by Rising Damp in the nation's memory I think.

I take it you do know about him.....and what he did?

I honestly didn't know all that and having now read further on his vile personal life, I have even thrown the DVD I bought of "Yus My Dear" in the wheelie bin, unopened and unwatched.

Dream Stuffing

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2020, 5:01 PM

I honestly didn't know all that and having now read further on his vile personal life, I have even thrown the DVD I bought of "Yus My Dear" in the wheelie bin, unopened and unwatched.

Who?

Arthur Mullard I'm assuming.

Yus, My Dear is actually really funny. Astoundingly grotty and very evocative. Mike Reid is wonderful.

How're you defining "obscure and forgotten", Ben? Most of those mentioned above have been available on DVD for many years, so whilst they mightn't be Porridge, their obscurity is questionable. But if we're talking about things that just aren't in that celebrated, ever-repeated top tier, I shall raise The Rag Trade and Meet The Wife.

Pardon The Expression is one I recommend. A spin off from Coronation Street and The Larkins as well as another one of the first sitcoms, with the fabulous Peggy Mount. Also George and The Dragon