What are you reading right now? Page 237

Quote: beaky @ 29th June 2016, 10:15 PM

Just about to read Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling, which I meant to buy when it first came out, and found in a Spanish supermarket this afternoon.

Did you like it? "I went to a shop and the young guy serving me was a complete f**kwit. This town sucks because the butcher's shop and the bookstore have closed and I couldn't find a battery for my watch. I got stuck in traffic. The museum gift-shop is a ripoff. I felt nervous walking past a horse. The tearoom was crowded. F**k other tourists. Young people are f**kwits who watch Mrs Browns Boys. Etc, etc."

? Is that the bowldlerised version? I've just downkindled The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie because 1 - It's a novella of less than 200 pages and I have the attention span of a nitwit knat, 2 - It's considered a classic and 3 - It's one of those 'Nothing like the film' books which infuriates the novel's fans.

I caught the film on the other night, a 60s made film set in the 30s, looking much more like a film about the 60s. So I thought well, I've got to see how much it veered from the book, and was Maggie Smith over acting? Huh? I'll soon find out.

Having given up (for now) Hawking's "Brief History of Time", thought I would make a third attempt to get into Carlo Rovelli's recent book "The Order of Time", and so far have managed to get to Page 70 at the end of Chapter 4 with a smattering of what he's talking about, the bones of which are that time slows down the nearer you get to a mass and speeds up the faster you go - so for example, for the astronauts on the space station these two effects almost cancel each other out - we are talking about by Infinitesimal small amounts here!

So, Aristotle, Newton and Einstein pretty much agree with each other (with adjustments) and with a bit of concentration we can follow this........................THEN Einstein has to stick his oar in! :(
"it is Einstein who observes that this cannot be the last word on the nature of time and space, because of the existence of quantum mechanics."

Chapter 5 "Quanta of Time"................and I feel I've lost the game before even reading the first sentence. :S

Sylvia Plath. With coronavirus I need cheering up.

I'm reading some tweets from Jerry Seinfeld.

The normally non-controversial Jerry upset a few sensitive souls when advertising a forthcoming chat with comedian Lewis Black (who is white).

Jerry urged people to watch the show by stressing that "Black's life matters".

Quite clever, I thought. Laughing out loud

F**king Hell. Sounds like one of my jokes.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th July 2020, 11:38 PM

F**king Hell. Sounds like one of my jokes.

Can it be entirely coincidence that you and Jerry have never been seen in the same room? Laughing out loud

Deny it all.
Reading 'How to express yourself'. Shittest shit I ever readed.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2020, 11:53 AM

Having given up (for now) Hawking's "Brief History of Time", thought I would make a third attempt to get into Carlo Rovelli's recent book "The Order of Time", and so far have managed to get to Page 70 at the end of Chapter 4 with a smattering of what he's talking about, the bones of which are that time slows down the nearer you get to a mass and speeds up the faster you go - so for example, for the astronauts on the space station these two effects almost cancel each other out - we are talking about by Infinitesimal small amounts here!

So, Aristotle, Newton and Einstein pretty much agree with each other (with adjustments) and with a bit of concentration we can follow this........................THEN Einstein has to stick his oar in! :(
"it is Einstein who observes that this cannot be the last word on the nature of time and space, because of the existence of quantum mechanics."

Chapter 5 "Quanta of Time"................and I feel I've lost the game before even reading the first sentence. :S

Nope, lost me by the end - seemed to be full of waffle too.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2020, 11:53 AM

........... thought I would make a third attempt to get into Carlo Rovelli's recent book "The Order of Time".......................

:S

Now my brain has recovered I thought I would re-read a childhood copy of "Treasure Island" I manage to pick up on eBay..........it has pictures too, which are a bonus - the illustrations being by the then famous Scottish cartoonist Dudley D. Watkins.

Ahhh.............so much more relaxing, and fond memories of reading it after finding same in my Christmas stocking :)

Renegade- life and tales of Mark E Smith

Lovely stuffLaughing out loud

When scholar Deidre Blair approached Samuel Beckett saying she wanted to write his autobiography, he said, 'I shall neither help nor hinder you in this undertaking ' It made me think. I thought, F**k you, you f**king pretensious f**king pompous f**king arrogant f**king f**ker.

Melanie C interview about sport. Dribbling.
I met Stephen Hawking back in my Camford days. He was always surrounded by babes. Celebrity status.

Mark Radcliffe- thank you for the days

That magical moment when you finish reading your first book. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0194/0815/8819/products/spice-books_3adc2976-d3c9-4201-8609-3fcc1a28f79b_1024x1024.jpg?v=1556641573