A Hole Lot Of Trouble (1969)

This is an oddball short (½ hour) film about the planning and digging of a hole with Arthur Lowe, Victor Maddern, Bill Maynard, Leslie Dwyer, Benny Lee and the very attractive young models of a very camp photographer - one of the young actresses dying at only 37 when after her second child she suffered from post-natal depression and took her life by stripping of and walking into the sea, dying of hypothermia.

Anyway, common (then) short filler for the cinema that apparently wasn't released until 1971 and this type of film then died a death. An unfunny "The Plank" if you like (compared with on the IMDb), but with dialogue, and although the few reviews on the IMDb didn't rate it, I thought it wasn't that bad.

But speaking of The Plank, as we were, that was remade in the late 70s with Arthur Lowe basically in Tommy Cooper's part, the result being the remake wasn't as funny as the original - just sayin'. I know that sounds unfair, but 'as the way I see it - Arthur Lowe is still a very good comic actor in my eyes,(he says backtracking).

Interesting curio if only to see Captain Mainwaring just before Dad's Army.

When I was living at home and had to watch Coronation St,Arthur Lowe as Mr Swindley of Gamma Garments was one of the highlights.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st September 2020, 5:44 AM

..one of the young actresses dying at only 37 when after her second child she suffered from post-natal depression and took her life by stripping of and walking into the sea, dying of hypothermia.

Surprised it got made with a plot like that.
Still, different times.

On again on TPTV if you want to see this curio...................

Wed 06 Oct 23:25 A Hole Lot of Trouble Directed by Francis A Searle. A 1969 comedy short centring around workmen digging a hole. Starring Arthur Lowe, Victor Maddern, Bill Maynard and Tim Barrett.