It's Hard To Be Good (1948)

Right, we'll have another go at a "comedy" film and see if Aaron moves it. Rolling eyes

Only watched this because Jimmy Hanley was in it. Not one of our greatest actors, but pleasant enough and I've always took a shine to him.

This was pretty dull though as I think it was intended to carry the feeling of comraderie forward from the war, which I presume had been lacking post hostilities when we were "all in it together" but now it was every man for himself.

Hanley comes back from the war and the Army where he'd been a damn good egg officer and wanted to foster the same relationships in civvy street, but soon realises that cosy spirit was rapidly fading and he finds himself banging his head against a brick wall. Then, the local people find out that he is being awarded the VC and their whole attitude changes when they realise they have a genuine war hero in their midst, but Hanley is not so keen.

Few comic moments, but mostly quite dull. Star spotting - Raymond Huntley, Lana Morris. And all in uncredited parts, Sid James, Doris Hare, Joan Hickson and, oh look, there's our friend Sam Kydd again for all of five minutes. -

Also it's good to be hard.