Talking Pictures TV Page 6

Dick Tracy (1937)

Watched episode 3 in the serialisation of "The Fur Pirates" out of curiosity and obviously, it was very dated. Ridiculous cliff-hanger of course to make cinema goers come again to see what happened next and how Dick got out of the certain death debacle.

Sadly he wasn't wearing his television wrist watch, which always fascinated me when I was a sprog reading the comics and scoffing in my 1950s naivety that no such thing could ever exist - after all just look at the size of our enormous wooden cabinet cathode ray tube TV sitting there in the corner of our lounge!

Am enjoying the re-runs of William Tell (with Conrad Phillips) & Robin Hood (Richard Greene).

Amazing the people that turn up in them too: Leslie Phillips, Sid James, Paul Eddington, Alfred Burke, Michael Caine...,

The second (!) offering of a very erratic re-run (last one back in June!!) of "No Hiding Place" with Inspector Lockhart and what was a must see in the early 60s, and thank heavens this one was a bit more interesting than the last one.

"A Pocketful of Bones" as a 10 year old skeleton is found in a disused well, but who done him in? Lockhart of the Yard, with his trusty put upon side-kick D.I. Baxter are on the case.

Just about spotted 21 year old Patricia Brake playing a young teenager - well known for playing Fletcher's daughter Ingrid in Porridge and Going Straight.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th August 2020, 9:33 PM

Am enjoying the re-runs of William Tell (with Conrad Phillips) & Robin Hood (Richard Greene).

Amazing the people that turn up in them too: Leslie Phillips, Sid James, Paul Eddington, Alfred Burke, Michael Caine...,

Yes I've been enjoying some of them. Just 30 minutes a time.

I watched the first episode of each awhile back, and wondered what I saw in them all those years ago. So hammy and sterile, and don't get me started on those baggy tights. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2020, 11:15 PM

I watched the first episode of each awhile back, and wondered what I saw in them all those years ago. So hammy and sterile, and don't get me started on those baggy tights. :D

Still good fun and easy TV.

False Colors (1943) ('scuse spelling)

Bending my rule of only British films, BUT exception here because look everybody, it's Hopalong Cassidy! There, on TPTV - I don't believe it!

Regular fodder on Saturday Morning Pictures for us 1950s sprogs - the silver haired William Boyd in his all black outfit, riding his beautiful white horse Topper, and this one had listed in the opening titles cast list a "Bob Mitchum" - must him I thought and yes it was, a 26 year old Robert Mitchum playing a bar room bum.

Now not a fan of cowboy films at all (the exception being Spaghetti Westerns), but this was a quite good story actually, although some of the action scenes were laughable.

There, I've got it out of my system now.

Not a fan of Westerns ? You didn't go to the cinema much in the 50's then ? :)

NOW, but THEN, Saturday morning pictures, I had the fastest thumb and finger in the West - many's the baddie I shot as I peered over the cinema seat.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2020, 11:15 PM

You had yet to become your cynical self?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th August 2020, 9:47 AM

You had yet to become your cynical self?

YES, way back in the late 50s/early 60s the world was sane and a totally different place to what it became and is now.

I'm fairly sure the world was never sane, people were better at hiding it. The best comedy films show the madness of the world, don't they?

Not my cup of tea or age range, but saw advertised "Whizzkid's Guide" on TPTV last night, from again the archive of Southern Television and am wondering if any of you young sprogs in BCG land watched it back in 1981?

Odd mix of Arthur Mullard, Rita Webb and Kenneth Williams etc., which it seems ran for only 6 episodes.

Saturday 5th Sept 6.00pm "Went the Day Well? (1942)

Absolutely brilliant WWII propaganda film based on a Graham Greene novel about 5th columnists helping the Nazis to make landfall in the UK.

No one has a bad word for it on the IMDb, with loads of 10/10, which it thoroughly deserves.

A superb film you must see!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035429/?ref_=tt_urv

Yes,it is.With a young Thora Hird having fun shooting people.