"WRITTEN BY" Page 3

Quote: john tregorran @ 22nd August 2020, 7:13 AM

They mention Jack Benny.Lots of his radio shows on youtube.I'm not saying it's as good as Hancock but it comes quite close :)

He was good, but not a patch on Hancock and doesn't even come close imo. ;)

I'm now reminded of this famous incident from the 1950 Royal Variety at the Palladium - the "too late money" I've heard in different anecdotes ranging from £25K (NOW nearly one million pounds!) to £75,000, where Max Miller was a bit miffed that Benny was allowed to overrun, but not Max who was at the top of his profession at that time.

And I quote:-

"In the eyes of many, this year's show will be remembered as the one in which Max Miller deliberately ran over his time. The problem stemmed indirectly from Jack Benny, who had been allocated longer on stage, not unreasonably as he had travelled all the way from the States where he was a huge box office draw. Max Miller knew that he was as big a box office draw on this side of the Atlantic, however, and, abandoning the routine he had gone through in rehearsal, he added several extra gags.

The audience loved it, but, being well over his allotted time, he was straining the accepted protocol of 'royal shows' that timing should be stuck to. Charles Henry was standing in the wings calling "Come off Max"

When Max eventually did quit the stage, Val Parnell, the Guv'nor of Moss Empires, told him in no uncertain terms, "You'll never work in one of my theatres again."

"You're twenty-five thousand pounds too late," Max is reported to have replied, besides which the impresario had already engaged him to play Nottingham soon afterwards. Indeed, it was only a relatively short time before box-office returns and a little reflection on all sides had him reinstated."

That can also be attributed to Bernard Manning and Chubby Brown (although they both probably nicked it)
In the two documentaries about them - they both say it when asked how they feel about not being on TV anymore

Currently scanning, as and when, the "Thirty Minutes Worth" script (38 pages + Lesson 3!) and it's very good! I don't often laugh out loud at something I'm reading, but the bit where Harry reminisces about the romance he had in Paris as a young man is hysterical. Laughing out loud

Greetings Mr Thynne
Much appreciate the time and effort you have put into sharing this writing course material and selflessly exposing your self to copyright infringement

Last week I revisited the animation after a lapse of two years which corresponds to my last visit to Bcg. I was quite active on here for about 5 minutes - roughly about the same length of time the animation lasted. Now that Im making progress on that front, or just impressed with my self, Im thinking about a comedy script. This I am trying to talk my self out of as Im inclined to be pooterish and which I have had to work bloody hard to disguise.
Anyway braking cover to convey my appreciation.

I wont add gratitude in case it goes the wrong way and you get prosecuted in which case I dont want to be a witness for the defence or prosecution due to my congenital dyslexia which I should have mentioned at the outset.

I ought to start this again - I feel I have focussed on the wrong foot.

Quote: Flook @ 28th August 2020, 11:36 AM

Greetings Mr Thynne

Much appreciate the time and effort you have put into sharing this writing course material and selflessly exposing your self to copyright infringement

Gulp :(

See what I did there! - put into effect some of the course suggestions I was reading.

How are you ?
Say you missed me.

Thanks Herc, this is really interesting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th August 2020, 8:56 AM

Currently scanning, as and when, the "Thirty Minutes Worth" script (38 pages + Lesson 3!) and it's very good! I don't often laugh out loud at something I'm reading, but the bit where Harry reminisces about the romance he had in Paris as a young man is hysterical. Laughing out loud

Is there an indication of which episode it's from?

Quote: Aaron @ 15th September 2020, 11:04 AM

Is there an indication of which episode it's from?

No there isn't - it's just titled "THIRTY MINUTES WORTH".................................AND, it was all scanned, with Lesson 3 ready to post, when Flook popped his head up and kiboshed it with reminding me about copyright issues(?)

Quote: Flook @ 28th August 2020, 11:36 AM

Greetings Mr Thynne

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2020, 11:19 PM

Gulp :(

Interesting to see all these documents and the fact that established writers were offering this back then.

I went on a one-day sketch writing course way back in 2008 and it was a lot of fun. Taught me a few tips and tricks, but I ultimately fell short in getting anything on the radio, let alone TV.