It's Great To Be Young! (1956)

I only watched this because John Mills was the star and although it was in colour, it wasn't that heavily saturated colour, which was common in 1950s British films, thank heavens.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid, so was surprised to see the few reviews all giving glowing reports on it, with some 10/10.

So, set in a large co-ed private school, John Mills is a strong believer in music in education and runs a very popular orchestra with the keen pupils who can play anything from the classics to some really good jazz (all mimed of course, courtesy of Humphrey Lyttleton and his band); BUT a couple of the other teachers think it is all superfluous and the crusty head Cecil Parker agrees with them, so he bans all music in the school. Things come to a head of course and the kids go on strike when JM resigns his post.

Interesting to see a 12 year old Richard O'Sullivan (instantly recognisable), and the other star was Cecil Parker (as previously mentioned) who I also like, but the film itself did little for me other than a curiosity.

Richard O'Sullivan was a school kid in Carry on Teacher I saw not that long ago.:)

Yes, that little cherub face makes an appearance now and then when a sweet schoolboy is needed.