The Sausage Thread Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 11th August 2020, 8:22 PM

Isn't it easier to just buy them from the supermarket?

It would be easier, but not cheaper, nor better.

Commercial sausages are often packed with poor cuts of meat, filler, water, and preservatives. Take Mexican-style chorizo, for example. It's much different than the Spanish version which you're probably familiar with. It is soft, crumbly, and typically cooked up with eggs and other ingredients in breakfast tacos. It tastes great, but the ingredients include pig salivary glands and lymph nodes. I use good cuts of meat in my sausages: pork butt, belly, and brisket. I don't mind the extra work, and with pork butt often on sale for a dollar per pound, I can save a lot of money.

The best part of making sausages at home is that you can make any style you'd like. I couldn't get a good English banger if my life depended on it, but I can whip up a batch at home. I used to pay ridiculous shipping charges to have Cajun andouille and tasso delivered from Louisiana, but now I make and smoke my own. I've heard good things about South African Boerewors, but I doubt I'll ever travel there. That won't stop me from trying it someday.

Sausage sarnies. Slice the bangers in half or whole? Hot dogs whole yes, but sarnies or baps? Sliced surely? And more importantly, when to slice? Many slice them after cooking. I don't I slice them before so they get sizzled all over. Probably unhealthier but much tastier imo.

And if there was only one ever available would it be Ketchup, Brown sauce, Mustard, BBQ sauce or Worcester Sauce maybe, or as I have also tried, Soy sauce, or Tabasco sauce, I suppose you have sweet chilli sauce and other chilli sauces as well. If you could only have one, on sausage sarnies which one???!!! Teary

Sliced down the middle after cooking, with lashings of HP sauce................................and possibly a couple of rashers of streaky and maybe a fried egg.

(shouldn't typed all that.........now where's that frying pan)

If it's a British-style sausage, I'd go for HP. German would get some nice mustard. A smoked American/Texan sausage would be nice with some BBQ sauce.

Do you eat sausage rolls in America?

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th August 2020, 4:09 PM

Do you eat sausage rolls in America?

Sadly, no.

Ohh man

Your missing out

Yumsk

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th August 2020, 5:23 PM

Ohh man

Your missing out

Yumsk

I make my own, but haven't for the last 8 months because I'm on a low-carb diet. I've lost 40 pounds so far.

Nice going ! :)