10 Rab Nesbitt
10 Alan form RD
10 Betty Spencer
10 Barrowclough
10 Tucker from Citizen Smith
10 MacLaren
10 Rodney Trotter
10 Godber

Grouty was excellent, even in a comedy he could exude menace.
Peter Vaughn also played citizen Smith's , girlfriends father in much the same manner.
Bloody yeti

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th August 2020, 1:58 PM

Grouty was excellent, even in a comedy he could exude menace.
Peter Vaughn also played citizen Smith's , girlfriends father in much the same manner.
Bloody yeti

Yes, a face that oozed menace, not too dissimilar to George A Cooper who was Billy Liar's father in the TV series of the same name, and he was one of those also who looked as though he was chewing a wasp. Always seemed to play not a very happy man.

Grouty only appeared three times but seemed more because his name come up very often,not surprising since he ruled Slade.
Ken Jones as Ives,was good too although he wasn't it it much.

Mr. Mackay, Mr. Barrowclough, Lennie, Warren, McLaren, Lukewarm, Blanco, Heslop.....................as with all quality sitcoms, wonderful characters played so perfectly by the respective actors.

Fulton Mackay, Brian Wilde, Richard Beckinsale, Sam Kelly, Tony Osoba, Christopher Biggins, David Jason, Brian Glover...................

And it never occurred to be before, or perhaps it did and I'd forgotten, how Mr. Mackay was played by Mr. Mackay - unusual?

Yes. And there are five Spice Girls, five letters in Spice and five lettere in Girls. I use that to chat up women. I'm a virgin.
I still can't decide whether it's Rick, Rik or Mr Mayall. I'll have to toss.

Watch you don't sprain your wrist again.

I don't like him that much.

If it has to be top 3, in no particular order.

Tony Hancock
Harold Steptoe
Rigsby

Edit:
George Roper

Edit Edit:
Foggy Dewhurst

100% with you on The Lad Himself being top (?). He's weekly on Radio 4+ at the moment and am loving every minute of it all.

Comedy par excellence.

Sid, Bill and Miss Pugh have me in stitches each week. And musn't forget the Snide character. :D

A lot of the half hours are on youtube of course but they've replaced the theme tune with something horrible.I don't know why.

Quote: john tregorran @ 11th August 2020, 9:11 AM

A lot of the half hours are on youtube of course but they've replaced the theme tune with something horrible.I don't know why.

Oh..................just checked Cyrano De Hancock and that was OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvc10vAAnxo&list=PLGe9e5Br4osVLh06BgXrVXNgiyqQX_mO2&index=2

One of my all time favourites, that for years we had on a reel to reel listed as "Sid in Love" - God, this is such a funny episode. When Sid wants to tell Hancock something in confidence, but only if he won't laugh at him, then Sid tells him he's in love - Hancock's response is wonderful and so bloody hysterical.

"Spell it out - So is it a W- O -M- A -N?"

"Y -E -S"

"Not every word Sid, or we'll be here all night" Laughing out loud

The sequence from 3 minutes is a masterclass in not only script writing, but how to interpret it.

Must admit I've been been enjoying a Few HHH episodes midst work today, including the aforementioned Cyrano de Hancock. I agree entirely thst the early part is just beautifully written, and Hancock et al just carry It off with perfection.

I must be one of the few people to not get Hancock. I just don't find it funny, or get what it's about.

I enjoy it but I don't get the adoration either.