TPTV Films Page 18

What sort of bras do you like to wear then?

They probably did a lot of horse riding.That will do it.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th August 2020, 9:22 AM

What sort of bras do you like to wear then?

They probably did a lot of horse riding.That will do it. Point taken :D

And for moi? Slightly padded so it doesn't cut or chafe under me arms. :$

Or maybe the sheepdog....................

Colonel's Cup (1944)

Listed as The Colonel's Cup ("The" isn't in the actual title) in IMDb (so they got that wrong and made the search harder - found it via Jean Simmons in the end), it was an odd short film, apparently, according to the IMDb a re-cut version of "Sports Day", which I assume refers to the 24 minutes length as what I saw was only 13 minutes long, and I wonder where and when it was shown originally, it not even being a B movie.

I noticed also that it was made by a division of Castle Films, a company I know of old as I used to sell their 8mm cine shorts in my photographic business back in the 1970s, so assume, given the short length with this one on TPTV, that what we saw was one of those heavily edited shorts.

Interesting to see two 15 year olds in Jean Simmons and Peter Jeffrey, both in their first film, playing the lead parts of a school boy accused of ill treating as dog with Simmons as his sister in the same school who insists he is innocent. The boy keeps a stiff upper lip and being a good egg and school hero refuses to defend himself to shift the blame, but it all comes alright in the end - Phew! All in under a quarter of an hour.

The odd thing is Peter Jeffrey (big hooter) looks absolutely nothing like he did as an adult - if you check him out you will recognise him as he was in many a film and TV up until the day he died in 1999. Weird that.

Landslide (1937)

19 year old Jimmy Hanley with 17 year old Dinah Sheridan who later married him and had Jenny Hanley, and another first film credit for the Clark Gable lookalike I mentioned in "Scarlet Web", Robert Moore.

Small touring company gets trapped in a tiny theatre which succumbs to burial by a landslide in the middle of nowhere in a Welsh mountainous area, and before that one of the theatre staff is murdered - whodunnit? Do they survive the dwindling fresh air? Had to smile at the police constable trapped with them requisitioning the old lady's fish and chips to ration them out at 2 chips per person for the first "meal".

Quite amateurish in many respects with poor pre war effects etc. , but one of those films that grabs you and won't let go - anyway it was only just over an hour long, so worth a look.

Booby Trap (1957)

Absent minded prof. leaves a fountain pen with a bomb in it that goes off at the sound of a certain note, in this case the first "dong" of Big Ben.

Not a bad film and interesting to see quite a lot of London scenes and of course, cars of the period.

Lead villain Sydney Tafler, who normally has bit parts, and a "leave it art gov'ner" 'Arry Fowler who gets mixed up in the dirty business of drug dealing IN, you've guessed it, fountain pens, and we end up with a chase to find the pen with the bomb in it before any nearby bell goes "dong".

Fountain pens.I remember them.It wouldn't be a very big bomb.

Ahh, secret explosive ;)

Big Ben Calling (1935)

This is a badly cut down 40 minute film from the original "Radio Pirates" and it shows with scenes jumping for no apparent reason with the plot going out of the window, not that there was much of one to start with. A ridiculous idea that three diverse people cart some sort of portable transmitter around from place to place just so one of them can get their songs aired.

Pre-empting Radio Caroline etc. in some sort of way, so 30 years ahead of its time and it was interesting to see a 15 year old Hughie Green (and I mean that most sincerely, friends) doing singing impressions.

And another film with the enormous xylophone player Teddy Brown, who actually is very good, so that made it worth it.
The title comes from the fact that they finish up broadcasting from inside Big Ben, which at the time it seems was clad in scaffolding, much the same as it is now.

Meet Mr. Callaghan (1954)

Surprisingly slick British private dick film with Slim Callaghan (a sort of Sam Spade) being the PI in the title. Good plot, well filmed and acted, so well worth a look.

Didn't know anyone in this, apart from the other "Sam Kydd", Michael Balfour who had his usual minor role.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th July 2020, 11:22 PM

Er, well as were now into the 16th page of posts, I'm not sure what to say.

As far as the reviews are concerned, I've been keeping a list of my viewings since I wandered off last year after the second Rude Boy debacle, and so some of these I saw months ago, but they do repeat them often as I'm now finding I'm not watching so many now owing to the repeats.
For that reason, I can't help you as to when they are next on - you'll just have to keep an eye on the schedules. For example, I go through the TPTV channel (445 on Virgin) once week and pick out the British pre/post films and store them to record on my V digi-box every Saturday morning for the coming week.

Yu mean you're not on their emailing list?

Quote: Chappers @ 11th August 2020, 8:26 PM

Yu mean you're not on their emailing list?

No, should I be?

The Black Abbot (1934)

Pre-empted "The Black Rider" by some 20 years being basically the same plot of crooks using the legend of a ghost dressed in black to keep people away from their dastardly work, in this case kidnapping (and poorly) a wealthy man, and oh dear, those clipped "BBC accents"!

There was a bit of humour included, which was quite amusing via a lovelorn pair of servants, and they just about made it worth watching.

Didn't know any of the cast.

Didn't know any of the cast.

What a challenge.Thought I had something with the director.George A Cooper.
But unfortunately it wasn't the tough man actor of Grange Hill and lots of other stuff.

I'm just watching the evergreen Two Way Stretch. I searched or another thread on it but nothing came up.

Irene Handel is always brilliant.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th August 2020, 8:59 PM

Irene Handel is always brilliant.

I know the German classical composer Handel lived most of his life in London, but I don't think Irene Handl was related to him. Whistling nnocently