Best Only Fools And Horses Character? Page 3

The funniest was grandad, although the full cast of regulars had some great comedy moments.
one criticism I have to say is the seris should have ended in 96 with the perfect happy ending.
the show's after that that show them being broke were not funny, and a little desperate.
buster and ken had passed and, john sulivan was repeating jokes, rodney in a centurian outfit for example.

the spin offs where worse, the green green grass was God awful, and rock an chips was some sort of comedy drama
ofah is out and out comedy, it's at it's very best when it remembers that.

Trig and grandad.

The letter offering John Challis the part of Boycie

He said on twitter - he did like it.

I like all the characters. Except Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter, Rodney Trotter, Trigger, Uncle Albert Trotter, Boycie, Mike Fisher, Grandad, Cassandra Trotter, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Raquel Turne and Denzil.

What about Sid in the cafe?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 3rd August 2020, 9:05 AM

I like all the characters. Except Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter, Rodney Trotter, Trigger, Uncle Albert Trotter, Boycie, Mike Fisher, Grandad, Cassandra Trotter, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Raquel Turne and Denzil.

For once, we are in agreement. I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's an OK sitcom and that's about it.

I think it's the best sitcom ever made, but it's my opinion. but the most reason why people don't really like is the amount of repeats it gets on TV from what I've seen and they see it on TV so often it puts people off watching off it, because they get sick to death of it, by seeing it on tv over and over again.

Repeats are not the reason for me not rating it as I never watch them - I just don't go a lot on the characters, especially the main ones such as Derek who simply gets on my tits. I've lived and worked with the London type he portrays and they are all mouth and no trousers. Full of crap. Waste of space.

If you were to tie me down on a character then that would be Trigger, who I think is fairly funny.

Quote: Wheel @ 5th August 2020, 11:27 PM

I think it's the best sitcom ever made, but it's my opinion. but the most reason why people don't really like is the amount of repeats it gets on TV from what I've seen and they see it on TV so often it puts people off watching off it, because they get sick to death of it, by seeing it on tv over and over again.

I'm not sure that argument would hold up to scrutiny, now seeing that Dad's Army's popularity if anything seems to have grown with reruns and it's shown a lot more than OFAH.

Where I believe most negativity about it comes from is the fact it usually ends up on top of all the Best Sitcom lists, and fans of others with just as good a claim get peeved about it. Interestingly, John Challis, when asked if it was the best sitcom, in one of the celebration progs of it, answered with a bit of humility 'It's certainly the best loved sitcom' thus recognising there are a few others which rate as high with the critics. I hope he's framed that letter btw, I would.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th August 2020, 8:15 AM

I'm not sure that argument would hold up to scrutiny, now seeing that Dad's Army's popularity if anything seems to have grown with reruns and it's shown a lot more than OFAH.

Where I believe most negativity about it comes from is the fact it usually ends up on top of all the Best Sitcom lists, and fans of others with just as good a claim get peeved about it. Interestingly, John Challis, when asked if it was the best sitcom, in one of the celebration progs of it, answered with a bit of humility 'It's certainly the best loved sitcom' thus recognising there are a few others which rate higher with the critics. I hope he's framed that letter btw, I would.

It's all about a matter of taste, everyone is different for example, I think Blackadder and Dad's Army aren't that good I found them boring, but it doesn't suit my tastes, while I love OFAH. Not everyone will be the same, in the critics eyes, there's probably only 2 other sitcoms which might rate higher with the critics, which is Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, maybe Alan Partridge? If they thought he was the best comedy character ever?

Quote: Wheel @ 6th August 2020, 8:49 AM

in the critics eyes, there's probably only 2 other sitcoms which might rate higher with the critics, which is Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, maybe Alan Partridge? If they thought he was the best comedy character ever?

No, I think you'd have to add Porridge, highly acclaimed by many industry bods as is Hancock, rightly so, and possibly Steptoe & Son, Dad's Army as well. Yes Minister can't be far off either. I'd throw in Rising Damp too without hesitation (from a critical pov although I doubt many others would, thanks to it being on unfashionable ITV).

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th August 2020, 7:44 PM

What about Sid in the cafe?

Oh yeah, thanks. That prick.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th August 2020, 11:06 PM

For once, we are in agreement. I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's an OK sitcom and that's about it.

Three agreements in one week. I'm losing it.
It's just another mediocre, formulaic sitcom.

In terms of best characters of the show, there are plenty to choose from I feel. But for me it's Trigger, I love how dumb he is and how hilarious he is, every scene he is in he steals it I feel.

Quote: Wheel @ 6th August 2020, 10:39 AM

In terms of best characters of the show, there are plenty to choose from I feel. But for me it's Trigger, I love how dumb he is and how hilarious he is, every scene he is in he steals it I feel.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th August 2020, 11:34 PM

If you were to tie me down on a character then that would be Trigger, who I think is fairly funny.

Yes! We agree on summat. :) That's nice.