The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 702

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st April 2020, 2:49 PM

I wish my Barber was available for making cuts.

Billy you've got the perfect excuse for shaving your head - aren't you curious on what a balled Billy Bunter would look like ?

Billy, is that you?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 1st April 2020, 3:12 PM

Billy, is that you?

That will be all of us in a few months.

I missed that bit! Twice as funny.

Not content with gradually losing the 1966 squad, the 1970 squad is now also hastening its departure. Peter Bonetti over Easter. Now Norman Hunter. :(

Wasn't Hunter in the 1966 squad? Yes. Number 18.

Bobby Ardrey has died, age 82, on 2 April 2020.

Played 422 games for Wimbledon between 1956/57 & 1971/72, winning the Isthmian League Championship 4 times and the FA Amateur Cup in 1962/63. Also won 12 England Amateur international caps, 4 as captain. Recently (in November) attended AFC Wimbledon's game v Gillingham as a special guest.

I might have seen him play but the name doesn't ring a bell. I saw though that he turned down a move to Liverpool amongst others to continue a safe career as an electrical engineer.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th April 2020, 5:43 PM

I might have seen him play but the name doesn't ring a bell. I saw though that he turned down a move to Liverpool amongst others to continue a safe career as an electrical engineer.

So they say. But of course in those days there was no great financial advantage in giving up a well paid career, upping sticks to the other end of the country and taking the gamble that you might make it at a bigger club (remembering too that Liverpool were only in the second division until 1962/63).

So Trevor Cherry, at age 72, has now joined Norman Hunter and the rest in the great Don Revie squad in the sky.

Item on breakfast news this morning about Jack Leslie of Plymouth Argyle.

WHO? Well you'll be forgiven for not knowing who he is as even Vivian Anderson (the first black football player to represent England in a full international) had never heard of him either.

And I quote :-

"Leslie was named in the England national team to face Ireland in 1925 and was told by his manager that he'd been called up. But after this selection, his name mysteriously disappeared from the team sheet, seemingly because FA officials had come to look at him in person and discovered that he was black."

How unbelievable and devastating for him! And now there is some crowd funding to pay for a statue of him in Plymouth....................

https://jackleslie.co.uk

..........but what made me look up was Plymouth Argyle have put up a corridor inside the ground, a mural of players from the past, and the one right next to Leslie is Sammy Black................I find that very weird, if not disturbing.

How the hell did Villa beat Arsenal? At least one of 2020's surprises is a happy one!

Real shame Brentford didn't make it. Fulham have had their chances in the past and wasted them, it was time for new blood.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th August 2020, 3:22 PM

Real shame Brentford didn't make it. Fulham have had their chances in the past and wasted them, it was time for new blood.

In my Dad's time Brentford were an old first Division club.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th August 2020, 4:30 PM

In my Dad's time Brentford were an old first Division club.

Yes, and there were others. I have a lot of collectable newspapers and always glance at the tables to see clubs that are no longer in the big time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th January 2020, 6:33 PM

The Celtic captain and the mascot before the game?

No - the 6'5" Celtic centre-back, Christopher Julien, and his 16 year old, 5'2" teammate, Karamoko Dembele.

Laughing out loud Did they come onto the pitch holding hands?