Just William's Luck (1948)

I like the Just William stories, the best adaption I saw was in the late 70s series from LWT, which went out at Sunday tea-time with Bonnie Langford as Violet Elizabeth Bott and Diana Dors as her mum - perfect!

This however, I struggled to watch this - dunno why, and noticed a coincidence on the IMDb inasmuch as both the boys playing William all those years apart did virtually nothing after it and seem to have disappeared into obscurity.

There were faces to recognise - Joan Hickson on screen for all of about 10 seconds as the village gossip, AE Mathews (you have to be very old like me to know who he was) in a totally pointless part as a tramp, Stanley Baker as an uncredited fur thief in only his second film - didn't recognise him at all, Michael Medwin (died this year aged 96 I notice!) and Michael Balfour as co - thieves, and one of William's gang was played by Brian Roper who played Bob Cherry in the superb 1950s BBC TV series of Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School.

A E Mathews as a tramp! Bit of a come down,the casting director must have got him mixed up with someone else.AE was usually a toff.

Yerrs :D Perhaps he liked to slum it sometimes.

Totally agree. The books were addictive and Bonnie was awesome as Violent Elizabeth, but this film never really takes off. William's better in small doses.
I met Bonnie around this time after a show. I love it when people meet celebs for three millisecs and say, They're really nice.

I vaguely remember the Dennis Waterman TV series but not enough to know if they were any good.

Quote: john tregorran @ 23rd July 2020, 7:53 PM

I vaguely remember the Dennis Waterman TV series but not enough to know if they were any good.

Yes I was going to say that too. My Dad loved the books and had several so I was kind of brought up on them.

What do you call a pretty, elongated Norwegian view? Bonny long fjord.
Richmal Crompton also wrote adult books and had another kid character Jimmy, but William tops them all. Even better than Jennings.

I agree, the William stories are sublime, with beautifully drawn characters and plots, and so funny! I particularly like how Richmal Crompton poked fun at the trendy left wing bourgeoisie of the time, with their hand-loomed tweeds and spiritualism.

F**k, someone agrees with me about something. Better lower my standards.
One of the many cool things about William is when you're a kid you just enjoy them, but when you grow up (physically) you savour the satire too. There's a very clever social pisstake alongside the humour and comedies of errors. Almost as good as the Spice Girls.
I also have a soft spot for Jennings, unlike my priest. Billy Bunter Is shit.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th August 2020, 12:03 PM

Billy Bunter Is shit.

:(

I'm going to upset Michael by saying I loved Jennings too.

That's never going to happen - thick skin, you see.

:) That's never going to happen - thick , you see.

(only joking)

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th August 2020, 11:03 PM

:) That's never going to happen - thick , you see.

(only joking)

:O Oooh, so bold.

William the Bold.
I loved Jennings too, but William just pips It. Never got into Silly C**ter though.