As Time Goes By Page 9

Quote: jsg @ 1st August 2020, 3:31 PM

I've really loved some of Larbey's other stuff. Might give this a go.

Personally I think you should, I was putting it off watching it for some reason. But I loved it. I still need to watch The Good Life at some point

Very gentle comedy and it was frequently repeated on Yesterday (or was it Drama?).

Don't miss Ever Decreasing Circles which is an Esmonde/Larbey. And On the Up and My Good Friend, both written by Larbey on his own. As was an earlier Judi Dench outing, A Fine Romance. In that, she is paired with her now-deceased real-life husband Michael Williams. Williams also stars in a short lived Esmonde/Larbey, Double First. The pair also wrote Hope It Rains and Mulberry, two other favourites.

I just got round to watching the first series and I like it. What set pieces it has are all done so small, and it captures the mundanity of some situations completely, like the bit where someone's parked too close to Lionel's car and he's trying to get in.

Quote: Wheel @ 1st August 2020, 3:38 PM

. I still need to watch The Good Life at some point

Nobody NEEDS to watch The Good Life.

I have watched ATGB randomly on British Freeview Channels (mostly the UKTV "DRAMA" Channel since I became a more frequent TV watcher after about 2003.

I always find it amusing but I seem to see the same Episodes, over and over Series 8 has run successive episodes this afternoon, where Alistair seems to be establishing a relationship with Sandy.

Please dear reader explain Sandy's relationship with Jean and Judith so I do not need to investigate further to satisfy my curiosity?

Thank you in advance and please tell me what it is about the whole thing that gets your interest. For me I think it is the just about the believability and gentle wittiness of the situations.

It's a while since I watched the series but if I remember rightly she was Jean's office secretary and they simply became particularly close.

So, the final episode (?) of "The Mistress" on BBC4 and on the same night they've now started "As Time Goes By", which I quite enjoyed, having never seen it before.

Bland and inoffensive but not many laughs.
Palmer and Dench are wasted in it IMO