I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,194

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st August 2020, 3:11 PM

Trump's talk of postponing the election suggests a new level of desperation. Thankfully, even his own party have put him straight on this one.

How did you feel when our elections were postponed in May? Another year of bloodshed in long-suffering London under the ineffectual leadership of Sadiq Khan is the ultimate in desperation.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st August 2020, 3:11 PM

Trump's talk of postponing the election suggests a new level of desperation. Thankfully, even his own party have put him straight on this one.

Trump recently doubled down on his false claims about hydroxychloro curing covid. He has managed to find a "Dr" that agreed with him, she believes Alien DNA is used within some medication, and there is a vaccine that prevents people from becoming religious. So yes, he is getting desperate. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-stella-immanuel-alien-dna-hydroxychloroquine-press-briefing-today-a9643021.html

Trumps gonna lose and he knows it

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st August 2020, 3:59 PM

Trumps gonna lose and he knows it

Polls showed Hillary with a 4% lead in 2016: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37450661

I just saw a poll today which said that Biden is ahead by 4 points.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st August 2020, 3:15 PM

How did you feel when our elections were postponed in May? Another year of bloodshed in long-suffering London under the ineffectual leadership of Sadiq Khan is the ultimate in desperation.

Not really the same though is it? Khan himself didn't cancel the elections, there were clearly valid reasons for doing so and whatever your own views he didn't seem to be obviously heading for defeat.
Trump indeed may actually end up winning. But he's clearly worried about losing and is using flimsy arguments to justify stopping the election. He did the same thing in 2016 when it looked like he was going to lose. He shut up on the subject as soon as things went his way.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st August 2020, 5:05 PM

Trump indeed may actually end up winning. But he's clearly worried about losing and is using flimsy arguments to justify stopping the election. He did the same thing in 2016 when it looked like he was going to lose. He shut up on the subject as soon as things went his way.

Prior to the election in 2016, Hillary and her supporters proclaimed that Trump wouldn't respect the results of the election, and they've spent to last 4 years doing that exact thing. It's almost as if you can't trust politicians to tell the truth or behave appropriately...

Quote: DaButt @ 1st August 2020, 4:24 PM

I just saw a poll today which said that Biden is ahead by 4 points.

That's clearly fake news !

At this time four years ago, Clinton only led Trump by about 1 per cent in the polling average, 44.5-43.4. At no point after April of 2016 did she ever enjoy a margin as large as the one Biden has now.

Actually he hasn't respected the 2016 result. He kept claiming that he'd actually won by a landslide but illegal immigrants had skewered the vote against him. There was no evidence for this whatsoever.
I don't recall the Democrats challenging the legitimacy of the result at any point?
There are actually lots of good politicians out there on both sides. Trump's brand of politics relies on convincing everyone that they're all as shitty as he is. Don't fall for it.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st August 2020, 5:20 PM

That's clearly fake news !

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st August 2020, 5:20 PM

At this time four years ago, Clinton only led Trump by about 1 per cent in the polling average, 44.5-43.4. At no point after April of 2016 did she ever enjoy a margin as large as the one Biden has now.

Incorrect. On this day in 2016 she held a 3.9% lead in the polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st August 2020, 5:22 PM

I don't recall the Democrats challenging the legitimacy of the result at any point?

Were you asleep for the last 4 years? If so, let me jog your memory:

Hillary Clinton's team and the Obama administration pursued Trumped-up (See what I did there?) charges of Russian conspiracy and illegally spied on the Trump campaign. This lasted for several years and culminated with a show trial of an impeachment as the coronavirus began to ravage the world.

If he wins, I predict a riot. He is sooooooo racist it hurts, it's insulting he pretends otherwise. But in fairness, Tommy Robinson does the same, founder of the English Defence League, who recently said he was moving to Spain. How is he going to defend England from Spain? Just as Farage planned to move to America. What are they like, those little scamps. Rolling eyes

Quote: Firkin @ 1st August 2020, 5:40 PM

If he wins, I predict a riot.

Of course, that's what happens when people throw tantrums. In case you haven't noticed, there have been deadly riots in major (Democrat-governed) cities across the nation for the last several months. They are only helping Trump's cause, because most Americans think defunding the police and allowing anarchists to destroy public and private property is a bad thing. Skyrocketing crime and murder rates will not do Joe Biden any favors in November.

Quote: Firkin @ 1st August 2020, 5:40 PM

He is sooooooo racist it hurts, it's insulting he pretends otherwise.

It's insulting to your own intelligence if you have to squint that hard to convince yourself that you see something which doesn't exist. Ask yourself this question: why have Joe Biden's numerous, questionable comments about race and gender been given a pass by the media and Democrats?

I detest Trump, I think he is vile and unbelievably arrogant and moronic

But I don't get this whole 'he's soooooo racist" thing to be fair

What has he said that suggests he is very very racist?!

He may well be, but where's the evidence

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st August 2020, 5:47 PM

I think he is vile and unbelievably arrogant

I think most every American would agree with you on that - myself included.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st August 2020, 5:47 PM

But I don't get this whole 'he's soooooo racist" thing to be fair

What has he said that suggests he is very very racist?!

He may well be, but where's the evidence

It's like asking a devoutly religious person about the existence of God: to them it's a matter of faith and unshakeable belief.

Donald Trump clearly has no problem speaking his mind. If he were a dyed-in-the-wool racist he would just come out and say so.

I expect Trump to win again. It's less clear tan it was in 2016, but Biden appears an even less sentient option.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st August 2020, 6:12 PM

I expect Trump to win again. It's less clear tan it was in 2016, but Biden appears an even less sentient option.

The mind boggles at the poor choices we'll have in November. All the Democrats had to do was run a reasonably moderate, youngish candidate, but they made the worst choice possible.

I have many dear friends who tilt pretty far to the left, but it's not difficult to trigger stuttering spasms by reminding them that they were apoplectic when I said that I would hold my nose and vote for an old, privileged, sexist, white man - yet they plan to do the same thing. Biden is almost 4 years older than Trump, FFS.

Another party trick is to nod in agreement when they support destroying statues and organizations related to slavery and racism, then ask them with a straight face, "So you'd be in favor of eradicating the Democratic party due to their historic support for slavery and segregation?"