Best comedy character

For me, the top three are David Brent, Victor Meldrew and Geraldine Grainger. Yours?

Helloo James,I'm from Canton

Rigsby,Hancock and Fletcher,I think.A top ten would be easier.:)

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th July 2020, 8:41 PM

Rigsby,Hancock and Fletcher,I think.

If we're talking TV only, I'll go along with your choice.
:)

I like characters who think they are better than they are,usually fail miserably but still keep "looking at the stars."

Rick from The Young Ones
The Rik Mayall character in The Young Ones.
The Young Ones' Rick.
The member of The Young Ones who also did Bottom but isn't Adrian Edmondson.
The Young Ones guy who was also in the third episode of Happy Families.
Rik Mayall's Young Ones persona.
Rick from The Young Ones.

Quote: john tregorran @ 30th July 2020, 2:13 AM

I like characters who think they are better than they are,usually fail miserably but still keep "looking at the stars."

Yes. Frustrated ambition.

1. Del Boy
2. Fletcher
3. Arkwright
4. Hyacinth Bucket
5. Sir Humphrey Appleby
6. Geraldine Granger
7. Compo
8. Albert Steptoe
9. Granville
10. Jim Royle

These are my top 10

Quote: Wheel @ 30th July 2020, 2:17 PM

7. Compo

I have to remember his friend's name, but I haven't the foggiest.

How do I do it? What's my secret? I guess we'll never know.
By a curious coincidence this subject came up last night and it was the usual Mike is crap in The Young Ones. Personally I think the part is well written but poorly played. I also think that Vyvyan's mother is fantabulous. Oh, and isn't Alexei Sayle convincing as all those different family members? Hard to believe it's the same guy.

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th July 2020, 8:41 PM

Rigsby,Hancock and Fletcher,I think.A top ten would be easier.:)

I'll go with that. Hmm top ten to follow...sorry.

Like the best sitcom (?) on the OFAH thread, and been said many times before, and there are so many threads that broach this subject - is there any point?

It's SO subjective.........................

Radio or TV - Hancock, hands down. I could easily list, but as I say there is no point.

Yes there is, or there is no point in life. It's one of the simple pleasures, naming your favourite things. Isn't it better to have many different subjectives than none at all? That would mean no one has any interest in anything, and then there really would be no point. Morning. Unimpressed

I think it's also very interesting to see what other people's favourites are as well. I like to see other people's favourite sitcoms it makes it a very diverse community, I'd rather see a few people hate the big stuff than everyone liking Blackadder, Dad's Army and FT because it's different.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th August 2020, 10:12 AM

Yes there is, or there is no point in life. It's one of the simple pleasures, naming your favourite things. Isn't it better to have many different subjectives than none at all? That would mean no one has any interest in anything, and then there really would be no point. Morning. Unimpressed

I see your point (perhaps we can have a "what's your favourite BCG forum thread"), speaking of which there are (as said previous) loads of threads/posts on this thorny subject, none of which get resolved and can finish up in big arguments.

And since I've seen the light, that is the last thing I want now in my life at this time.

Bless you my son. Angelic