There She Goes Page 2

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th July 2020, 10:10 AM

Did anyone catch the first episode of the new series?

I decided to give this series another chance and so I found Series 2 Episode 1 on iPlayer and switched it on.

I lasted 30 seconds.

As soon as the child started throwing books around in the library and was NOT immediately dragged from the building by her parents, library staff or anybody else, I'd had enough.

As if that were not bad enough in itself, I was further angered by the realisation that, in the 21st-century, even if the child were not suffering from learning difficulties and were simply an ill-disciplined obnoxious little shit, she would in all probability have been treated with a similar degree of patience and understanding by all concerned.

Getting back to the child in question, if I remember correctly the opening scene of Series 1's first episode showed her being thoroughly disobedient in the street. The fact that the opening scene of Series 2's first episode shows her being disruptive, disobedient and destructive in a public library leads me to suspect that her behaviour during the considerable period of time that had elapsed between S01E01 and S02E01 had not improved to any significant extent.

If that is so, her behaviour in the library at the start of S02E01 was not entirely unforeseeable.

Why then did her parents take her into a library?

Does the script contain a plausible explanation for these decent, middle-class parents' apparent lack of concern for property paid for by taxpayers' money and also for their apparent lack of concern for the rights of their fellow townsfolk to enjoy peace and quiet within the confines of their local library?

If it does, I'd love to hear it.

Be all that as it may, however, I did manage to console myself a little by imagining a much-improved opening scene in which the parents and child enter the library and one of the staff rolls her eyes heavenward and says to herself with a sigh, "Here she comes."

Do you get it?

The library woman says, "Here she comes" and the series is called . . .

Yes, you get it now! Laughing out loud

Really loved episode one and looking forward to the whole series. Gutted now that I didn't see first series - it's not on iPlayer or DVD or Netflix. If anyone spots a series one repeat, please do give a heads up on this thread! Thanks!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th July 2020, 12:11 PM

I decided to give this series another chance and so I found Series 2 Episode 1 on iPlayer and switched it on.

I lasted 30 seconds.

As soon as the child started throwing books around in the library and was NOT immediately dragged from the building by her parents, library staff or anybody else, I'd had enough.

As if that were not bad enough in itself, I was further angered by the realisation that, in the 21st-century, even if the child were not suffering from learning difficulties and were simply an ill-disciplined obnoxious little shit, she would in all probability have been treated with a similar degree of patience and understanding by all concerned.

Getting back to the child in question, if I remember correctly the opening scene of Series 1's first episode showed her being thoroughly disobedient in the street. The fact that the opening scene of Series 2's first episode shows her being disruptive, disobedient and destructive in a public library leads me to suspect that her behaviour during the considerable period of time that had elapsed between S01E01 and S02E01 had not improved to any significant extent.

If that is so, her behaviour in the library at the start of S02E01 was not entirely unforeseeable.

Why then did her parents take her into a library?

Does the script contain a plausible explanation for these decent, middle-class parents' apparent lack of concern for property paid for by taxpayers' money and also for their apparent lack of concern for the rights of their fellow townsfolk to enjoy peace and quiet within the confines of their local library?

If it does, I'd love to hear it.

Be all that as it may, however, I did manage to console myself a little by imagining a much-improved opening scene in which the parents and child enter the library and one of the staff rolls her eyes heavenward and says to herself with a sigh, "Here she comes."

Do you get it?

The library woman says, "Here she comes" and the series is called . . .

Yes, you get it now! Laughing out loud

Blimey. If that's your review of 30 seconds I'd hate to see one of a whole episode! Also as much of an inconvenience it might be to you, disabled children have as much right to a library as you or I. What would you rather they do? Leave her at home 24 hours a day?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th July 2020, 4:12 PM

disabled children have as much right to a library as you or I

Indeed they do.

Disruptive and destructive people, however, are traditionally frowned upon in libraries regardless of age or disability.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th July 2020, 4:12 PM

What would you rather (the parents) do?

I'd rather they took reasonable steps to prevent her from damaging other people's property.

Not seen this before.
Fantastic.
And with respect (which usually means the opposite!) Rood, I think your attitude is exactly why this series was written & produced.
And, I too, think the dual time-lines is a masterstroke.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th July 2020, 9:20 AM

I think your attitude is exactly why this series was written & produced.

You may be right.

TV dramas can and do change public perception and attitudes.

Who knows? Perhaps my local china shop will have a "bulls welcome" sign in its window this morning?

Maybe now's not the best time to talk about heavy subjects, but I've quite liked what I've seen of the new series so far.

Quote: jsg @ 19th July 2020, 6:34 AM

Maybe now's not the best time to talk about heavy subjects, but I've quite liked what I've seen of the new series so far.

Me too. I'm really liking the shades of grey imbued in both Hynes and Tennant. Both are quite awful people a lot of the time, but their situation demands sympathy, and those little glimpses of hope and happiness feel so much more earned than in other series.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 19th July 2020, 12:10 PM

Me too. I'm really liking the shades of grey imbued in both Hynes and Tennant. Both are quite awful people a lot of the time, but their situation demands sympathy, and those little glimpses of hope and happiness feel so much more earned than in other series.

Definitely. And some of the things written for Rosie are funny, the smashing of the picture frame for example. Random stuff like that can be sort of uplifting in its own way.

Interesting that you see them as "quite awful". I don't in the slightest. I think they're perfectly normal, flawed people struggling to deal with the contrasting demands of different aspects of family life and relationships.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd July 2020, 9:47 PM

Interesting that you see them as "quite awful". I don't in the slightest. I think they're perfectly normal, flawed people struggling to deal with the contrasting demands of different aspects of family life and relationships.

Oh that's true, just the way they treat each other sometimes, not to mentiom neglecting their other kid. But that's the beauty of the writing, good or bad they are fully rounded people and I am absolutely invested in their story.

They were (understandably) a bit rude to some of the people in it, who often were just trying to be nice. I think it's nuanced.

Another great episode this week. The other mother at the quiz was excruciatingly true to life.

Yes, super episode. And I see BBC4 are repeating series 1 this week, hurrah!

I watched the final 2 episodes, I hope it gets recommissioned, it's turned out to be one of the most uplifting shows in contrast to the trying things they go through.