I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,188

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th July 2020, 9:09 PM

Yeah but Chris isn't the most powerful human being on the planet Earth!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th July 2020, 9:36 PM

What falsehoods am I supposed to have said?

That the president told people to poison themselves and that the American media isn't overwhelmingly liberal. Those are beliefs, not facts.

It's 102F/39C outside, so I'm off for a swim and a few cold beverages with my neighbors. My Trump-voting, non-white, non-racist, male-and-female-of-whom-several-will-vote-in-their-first-election-because-they've-just-reached-adulthood neighbors. ;)

Have a great day/evening, everyone.

Today, thousands of protesters took to the streets of Brighton in support of Black Lives Matter.

Photographs of the event suggest that black lives do indeed matter to these protesters but that neither black lives nor white matter enough for them to maintain social distancing.

In Florida recently, three burglars were about their dastardly work when the homeowner suddenly appeared and shot two of them dead.

He then shot the third burglar but, at that moment, his gun jammed.

The third burglar, who was not fatally injured, saw his chance and ran from the house but was detained outside by a neighbour who also had a gun.

The third burglar has been charged with home invasion and also with second-degree murder because he was involved in the commission of a felony in which two people died.

The local sheriff has confirmed that the homeowner was perfectly within his rights to shoot the burglars.

Can you imagine that? A legal system that allows homeowners to defend their property against criminals?

In Britain of course, the homeowner in the above incident would be charged with murder and there would be a week of national mourning for the two dead burglars. The surviving burglar would sue the homeowner for pain, suffering and inconvenience and would be awarded a large sum in compensation.

It's a funny old world.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th July 2020, 10:32 PM

Trump's words condemn himself.

What were those words? When did he say "poison yourselves"? Show me those words.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th July 2020, 10:32 PM

Trump would never have become president without them.

Yet another belief, but it's absolutely untrue. Do you want to know how Trump became president? He became president because Hillary Clinton was so unlikable. Her contempt for large swaths of Americans doomed her campaign.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th July 2020, 11:11 AM

Can you imagine that? A legal system that allows homeowners to defend their property against criminals?

It happens daily, all across the nation. We're fighting to keep the right to defend ourselves, and that fight will become even more urgent if the Marxists have their way and police are defunded. We've already seen shootings increase by 400% in the most "woke" of cities.

Quote: DaButt @ 12th July 2020, 5:14 PM

Do you want to know how Trump became president? He became president because Hillary Clinton was so unlikable. Her contempt for large swaths of Americans doomed her campaign.

Fair point, but why do you think Trump will this time?

According to reports, in Indianapolis last weekend, a young white mother (24) was shot dead in front of her fiancé by a group of BLM supporters after telling them that "all lives matter".

There are complaints that the incident, for some reason, has received remarkably little publicity.

I'm sure what happened was more complicated than her simply uttering those words and immediately being shot dead but it seems that she did utter those words in response to being told that black lives matter and one of the BLM supporters did kill her. :(

Quote: Firkin @ 12th July 2020, 8:47 PM

Fair point, but why do you think Trump will this time?

I have no idea what the election will bring, but if voters have a problem with Donald Trump because he's an old, privileged, white guy, then I can't see how electing an old, privileged, white guy will improve things.

According to reports today, Lisa-Marie Presley is "inconsolable" following the suicide of her son Benjamin who shot himself recently.

If that is a news item, I'm a Dutchman.

If she were not inconsolable at the moment, that would be news.

Harvey Price is in the news today and my heart really goes out to him.

Nobody deserves to have Katie for a mother. :(

PS. Cue sharp intake of breath from several people who, if circumstances were slightly different and the butt of that joke were say Donald Trump or Jim Davidson, would find it hilarious.

It's a funny old world.

Comet Neowise won't be back for 6,800 years.Will there be anyone to see it ???

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th July 2020, 9:45 PM

Comet Neowise won't be back for 6,800 years.

That's not such a long time when you think how long it'll be before we see a second series of "The Wright Way". Laughing out loud

I shudder to think what the rest of the world thinks of the English government.

Not much more than five minutes ago, facemasks were declared next door to useless when it came to reducing the spread of coronavirus.

Now, they're about to be made compulsory.

Perhaps all the businesses that are currently going bust might invest a few bob in the manufacture and/or sale of facemasks?

If they do, the economy will be booming in no time! Laughing out loud

If Australia is anything to go by they are too busy being gobsmacked by their own governments.
There are obviously enough masks now,after the latest shipment from China :)

The BBC has decided to cancel the Andrew Neil Show: Andrew is one of the finest political journalists and political interviewers in the world. He's just one of 520 employees who stand to lose their jobs in the BBC news department.

They have also decided to cancel the long-standing arrangement by which over 75's (a great many of them poor and alone) are entitled to free TV licences.

At the same time, they are planning to spend £100 million on diverse content.

Oh well, I'm sure a great many lefty liberals will be delighted to see one less middle-aged, middle-class white man at the BBC but, according to less-lefty and less-liberal observers, Neil's departure means the corporation's diversity-driven journey to hell in a handcart will now be all the quicker.

In an ideal world, diversity among those in front of, behind or nowhere near the camera would be achieved or improved by getting rid of non-diverse people who were crap at their jobs and replacing them with diverse people who were good at those jobs. Nowhere outside Alice's "Wonderland" would anybody think of achieving it by getting rid of non-diverse people who are the best in the world at their jobs.

I bet Netflix and Amazon and Disney and all the other streaming services are laughing their socks off at the way the BBC is run these days. Laughing out loud