What are you listening to now? Page 1,409

The other hilarious journo comment was on the 20th anniversary of Sgt Pepper:
It was 20 years ago today!
Sgt Pepper? It was 20 years ago today!
It's the anniversary of Sgt Pepper. Yes, It was 20 years ago today!
Sgt Pepper's anniversary. So it was 20 years ago today!
On this day 20 years ago, Sgt Pepper was released. So yes! It was 20 years ago today!
It's been exactly two decades since Sgt Pepper. So... It was 20 years ago today!
Fans of The Beatles will know... It was 20 years ago today!
Sgt Pepper... It was 20 years ago today!
Today in music history, The Beatles released Sgt Pepper. So we can truly say... It was 20 years ago today!
The Beatles' Sgt Pepper? It was 20 years ago today!
More please.

Quote: john tregorran @ 9th July 2020, 6:43 AM

They did go back to doing covers that's true.A bit of a disappointment after A Hard Days Night.

There are some great tracks on the album, with over half of them written by the band, plus the fab "Mr. Moonlight", from John's rasping first line to superb harmonies.

So, I don't think it as bad as it's being talked of here. Not the best album, I grant you, but for me they can/do no wrong.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th July 2020, 9:20 AM

The great thing when Ringo tours with his All-Starr Band is that hilarious comment in every review:
With a little help from his friends!
Ringo's on tour... With a little help from his friends!
It's Ringo - with a little help from his friends, of course!
Ringo hits the road... With a little help from his friends!
Ringo Starr! With a little help from his friends!
Check out Ringo - with a little help from his friends!
Ringo's back. But not just Ringo. It's Ringo... With a little help from his friends!!!
Ringo Starr's gigging. With a little help from his friends!!!!!
Ringo but he's not alone: Ringo with a little help from his friends!!!
Is that Ringo Starr? Yes. But he's not alone. He's... With a little help from his friends!!!!!!!

Oh, and Mickey Mousehouse - in a recent three-part documentary on drums, Stewart Copeland rated Ringo as a very good drummer, as did Howard Goodall on his appreciation of the Sgt. Pepper album recently. There are others who have been perplexed as to why he receives such criticism, a bandwagon that you clearly have jumped on with no knowledge of what you are talking about.

I would suggest that Copeland and Goodall, each have more knowledge of music in their pinkie fingernails than you have in your entire body, so please give it a rest, will ya.

I'm not muso enough to comment but years ago I had a very iinteresting chat with a professional drummer without a little help from his friends. His opinion was that Ringo is a relatively pedestrian drummer without a little help from his friends but paradoxically that was perfect for the Beatles: when you have too much talent in a band it implodes (Cream being the perfect example). The group proactively asked him in and the legend is Paul asked if he did solos: any musician would go, 'F**k yeah: I do 6432 hour solos, in fact don't turn up for the next gig, I'll see to that.' Ringo was the opposite: :No, I don't show off, I just keep the beat going.' Perfect.
His sense of humour interviews and friendliness to fans and friends (with a little help from some of them) were a perfect foil to John and Paul's arrogance and George's moods. My personal favourite:
Ringo, why do you wear four rings on each hand? - Six got to be too heavy.
Starr has also enjoyed a long and prolific solo career (with a little help from his friends) and his feelgood albums are enjoyable after John's agonising, George's mantras and Paul's f**king bagpipes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th July 2020, 9:42 AM

Stewart Copeland rated Ringo as a very good drummer, as did Howard Goodall on his appreciation of the Sgt. Pepper album recently.

Yeah but they have to say that don't they. This is show biz. You can hardly go on telly and describe your glitzy pals (with a little help from some of them) with, 'Oh that c**t? He's f**king shit and a c**t. He can f**king f**k off, the c**t.' It's like when bands make a cumback (with or without a little help from their friends) and the interviewer asks of the new stuff's any good. What do they expect 'em to say? 'No, it is total and utter f**king shit. Avoid us like f**k. We are shit. Apparently there's a new Depeche album coming out, buy that instead, they piss all over us.'

Beatles for sale is fine by most people's standards, but in a career where ever album was a step foreward, this was pretty static. Even they were starting to feel the pressure of two years' frenetic work: they look physically tired on the cover, and the title says it all. Heavily reliant on covers, and the newbies seem to have been knocked off on a Monday afternoon. I'll Follow The Sun is good, but Baby's In Black sounds like a nursery rhyme and the raucous din of Mr Poonlight Is c**tender for least listenable Beatle bit ever. B -, boys. MUST try harder. Do you need a little help from your friends?

Copeland and Goodall, each have more knowledge of music in their pinkie fingernails than you have in your entire body.

Of course they do. It's their f**king job. It's what they're paid to do. I get hired cos I'm a good teacher.

on his appreciation of the Sgt. Pepper album recently

He's probably right, but as I said, you don't do an appreciation documentary and then rip the shit out of your chosen topic. Actually that'd be pretty cool... Good evening, this Is Roger A Deane, Eremitus Professor of Comparative Literature at Camford. Tonight I'm discussing enigmatic American author J D Salinger. Boy, does he suck! What a f**king total and utter f**king piece of f**king shit. One semi-,pubescent '''novel''' without a single wank anecdote, yeah right, a ternsy weensy piss poor shorter-than-The-Greatest-Hits-of- Bros crap about bananafish, I mean, HELLO? And then f**k all for fifty years except ONE short story that EVERYONE thinks is f**king bollocks! F**k you Jerry, do you honestly expect any f**ker to believe you're at home knocking out masterpiece after masterpiece, not just watching Desperate Housewives and jerking off occasionally like everyone else? F**k you, you arrogant, deluded, mind-f**kingly overrated pile of f**king shit.
Goodnight.

Well that's sorted.Paul being dead and there's someone going about pretending to be him.That's a popular myth too.:)

Billy Shears?

Sgt Pepper castrator. Willy Shears.

And now for something completely different:

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 9th July 2020, 4:00 PM

Of course they do. It's their f**king job. It's what they're paid to do. I get hired cos I'm a good teacher.

Not necessarily, and..................really?

English ?

The Feelies - Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except Me and My Monkey)

:) Thanks George.I've been looking for you but all I found were some suits in the wardrobe.

I'm reading top musician Victoria Beckham's Hello spread. Strange, normally the skeleton's INSIDE the closet.

One unusual romantic song for diversity, I like it - listened ~10 times today and yesterday