George And The Dragon

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this yet! I have had a search.

But I am watching the series and it's fantastic. Peggy Mount and Sid James are brilliant together, love the characters, love the plots, my favourite episode so far was the Christmas one. I am really glad I picked this up. Thanks Aaron for recommending this to me!

"George and the Dragon" isn't exactly an obscure sitcom but it's certainly some way from being well-known among the general public.

That's a pity because, quality-wise, it's very much better than its lack of fame might suggest.

Quote: Wheel @ 5th July 2020, 7:07 PM

Thanks Aaron for recommending this to me!

:D Happy to help!

Such a good series. It's a while since I had time to watch it all through, but I feel I may need to rectify that! The casting is so pitch-perfect it really makes one wonder why Sid and Peggy in particular weren't matched on-screen in a string of further films and/or TV series.

A real gem from sitcom geniuses Powell and Driver.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th July 2020, 10:04 AM

A real gem from sitcom geniuses Powell and Driver.

Yes, and what a contrast from "For the Love of Ada", which coincidentally I'd just been watching a disc of, from my box set rotation.

Peggy Mount has such a wonderful voice - I love it when she speaks gently and then in a instant she turns it into a menacing rant.

Poor Sid. Laughing out loud

Just finished watching the second series disc. The episode "The Old Flame" was a cracker, with Peggy Mount absolutely superb - she had me guffawing with tears running down my cheeks, especially the bold bit below.

Scenario from the IMDb, when sums it up very well :-

"Col. Maynard (John Le Mez) reveals that he has proposed to his childhood sweetheart, George puts his foot in it when he goes to pick her up from the station, and Gabrielle declares war when the bride-to-be explains the new rules." Laughing out loud

Interesting to see Tom Baker in one of his very early TV appearances for all of about 5 minutes as a railway porter in the 1968 episode "The 10:15 Train" - young and slim, but that gob full of teeth in unmistakable. :D