What are you listening to now? Page 1,407

Band on the Run - brilliant album. Not one duff track.

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th June 2020, 8:15 PM

I'm having a Richie Havens interlude now.
Not only do I like his style but he looked like a good mate of mine, now deceased.

Richie singing Bob

Wonderful stuff.

The best original Dylan album in at least 23 years, probably more : he was 56 then and is 79 now.........the same distance between Blonde on Blonde and Oh Mercy (age 25 and 48). It is such a crying shame he isn't British though he could be:

I'm still going wild about this Dylan album - it is bloody brilliant. It kind of goes like this for me, late period. Blood is his masterpiece of all time in my humble opinion - '75. I do like Desire, while flawed, '76. Then people say on late 70s, I didn't like him going to religion. I thought it was fair enough and pretty good. Slow Train Coming/Saved. 80s a bit iffy, as with Young, Mitchell, etc but always interesting to explore. Oh Mercy, '89. was an Oh Mercy for me. Loved it. Loved it. Daniel Lanois. Most of the 90s a bit iffyish. But then '97 Time Out of Mind. Fantastic. Ever since, well, many have given a big yes to this and that but I didn't really. This I do. I REALLY do. I compare it with Joni's last really which she released bizarrely on Starbucks but it's an absolute wonder. Another Bobby track here followed by two from Joni's last. Late 00s - brilliant.

Bob Dylan - My Own Version of You:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERo3DpxCrA

(The way I read this is that it is a critique of a cultural death cult which in truth has been going on for years even ahead of Covid - on every corner it is illness this and death that and he is saying everyone has gone Frankenstein because of propaganda. He ain't having it. Nor am I but I had no pal to say it. As we said earlier, thank Christ, right thing, right time.)

Beautiful late Joni.....every bit the equal to beautiful early Joni : how privileged we have been to have them:

Joni Mitchell - Strong and Wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwddUAuqyfA

Joni Mitchell - Shine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFVIesWLpc

Flippin 'eck, that Rough and Rowdy:

The lyrics. The bloody minded, humane, earthy, individuality, I love the comment of YT member of the public Brian Daniels (who I don't know from Adam): "From the first notes of the first song on this album all the insignificant shit and plastic goes back in the toilet where it belongs". To celebrate, I chucked my Armitage Shanks out. Can I borrow someone's?

I have to take issue with him in My own version of You.
"Where some of the best-known enemies of mankind dwell
Mr. Freud with his dreams, Mr. Marx with his ax
See the raw hide lash rip the skin from their backs"

Karl was not an enemy he was trying to free mankind.It's others that came after him that have misrepresented his ideas for their own gains.Unless of course Bob was talking about Groucho :)

I can't understand why people say the Marx brothers are so funny. I read Das Kapital three times, didn't laugh once. German sense of humour, I guess.
I actually prefer Band on the Cum without Helen Wheels, which is a fun single but slows the momentum of the second half. Said LP was my introduction to solo Paul and I assumed it was typical of the standard. Sadly...
My favourite McCartney lyric is the Oklahoma bit from Press. Pure Sylvia Plath.

Quote: john tregorran @ 3rd July 2020, 3:57 AM

I have to take issue with him in My own version of You.
"Where some of the best-known enemies of mankind dwell
Mr. Freud with his dreams, Mr. Marx with his ax
See the raw hide lash rip the skin from their backs"

Karl was not an enemy he was trying to free mankind.It's others that came after him that have misrepresented his ideas for their own gains.Unless of course Bob was talking about Groucho :)

Apparently and I am no political theorist:

Engels, from Origins of the Family, Private Property, and the State:

"The society which organizes production anew on the basis of free and equal association of the producers will put the whole state machinery where it will then belong - into the museum of antiquities, next to the spinning wheel and the bronze ax."

.....but Engels attributed much of that to Marx and Mr, Marx and Ax work well poetically for the song wot with Marx being an anagram of Mr and Ax which of itself is torn apart into the two.

There may be a Jewish angle on these things......Dylan is, of course, at root, and "raw hide" goes perhaps to the song Rawhide which was written by Ned Washington and crucially Dimitri Tiomkin who was one of many exiles. But it is all very nicely confusing.

I am also minded of The Magnificent Seven which like Rawhide suggests Americana but here I am specifically thinking of The Magnificent Seven by The Clash.

"Karlo Marx and Frederick Engels
Came to the checkout at the seven on eleven
Marx was skint but he had sense
Engels lent him the necessary pence"

Whatever, arguably it can probably be reduced to the fact that the Bob is less than impressed by anything political etc or just that he is forever enigmatic.

Harry Styles says you need original song titles these days. Sign of the times.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd July 2020, 11:19 PM

Band on the Run - brilliant album. Not one duff track.

One of the best solo Beatle albums. And that includes Ringo's Christmas LP.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 3rd July 2020, 10:55 AM

Apparently and I am no political theorist:

Engels, from Origins of the Family, Private Property, and the State:

"The society which organizes production anew on the basis of free and equal association of the producers will put the whole state machinery where it will then belong - into the museum of antiquities, next to the spinning wheel and the bronze ax."

.....but Engels attributed much of that to Marx and Mr, Marx and Ax work well poetically for the song wot with Marx being an anagram of Mr and Ax which of itself is torn apart into the two.

There may be a Jewish angle on these things......Dylan is, of course, at root, and "raw hide" goes perhaps to the song Rawhide which was written by Ned Washington and crucially Dimitri Tiomkin who was one of many exiles. But it is all very nicely confusing.

I am also minded of The Magnificent Seven which like Rawhide suggests Americana but here I am specifically thinking of The Magnificent Seven by The Clash.

"Karlo Marx and Frederick Engels
Came to the checkout at the seven on eleven
Marx was skint but he had sense
Engels lent him the necessary pence"

Whatever, arguably it can probably be reduced to the fact that the Bob is less than impressed by anything political etc or just that he is forever enigmatic.

OK .I can live with that :)

Behold the Seer by the Chris Robinson Brotherhood
If anyone can find me a more funky intro I'd like to hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKdtQilpkg

The Stooges

Never understood the appeal

They don't ever seem to play instruments or sing

The one called Moe just beats the other two up constantly

The bloody idiots

Why are you listening to them if you don't like them? Do I listen to One Erection?
The backcum album was fairly shite though. In the words of the castratee, I'll give you that.

If you are still on lock down,some exercises. Or you could just watch the video

My favourite U2 song is Beautiful Day, an attack on the materialistic lifestyle. Written by multi-millionaire Bono in his yacht, 648673073-billion-quid castle and c**try f**king estate.

Chain Reaction on Radio 4+ - Harry Hill Interviews Tim Vine, very funny, and next week Tim interviews Ken Dodd from March 2017

Oh good.