I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,179

A 32-year-old man who sent emails to several top police officers, including Cressida Dick, tipping them off that he was about to embark upon a campaign of murdering police officers (the high, the low, and all ranks between) and their families has been traced and arrested and produced at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

But . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . he's been released on BAIL until his next court appearance.

If there were ever any doubt that the judicial system in 21st-century Britain is a joke, I think this should remove that doubt, don't you?

Yes

Yes it does

This country is fooked

Would you ride an E scooter?
15mph is quite fast if you are just standing on a narrow ledge on wheels, regardless of the road conditions.Madness!

Are the wheels about to fall off the Black Lives Matter bandwagon?

According to reports, several organisations and prominent people (of all races) are withdrawing support.

Also according to reports, people are beginning to suspect that BLM's aims might not be quite as laudable as they were initially assumed to be.

Interesting times.

Still on the subject of injustice, there's an interesting story in the news today about a woman who met a 14-year-old boy on the Internet, arranged to meet him and engaged in sexual activity with him on three occasions.

At Newcastle Crown Court, she's just been given "community service".

Had this been a case of a man and a 14-year-old girl, I don't think he'd have been treated so leniently - do you?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I fail to understand why any man in Britain commits a crime when he can send his wife, girlfriend or daughter out to commit that same crime on his behalf - in the sure and certain knowledge that if she is caught and convicted, next door to nothing is going to happen to her.

It's a funny old world.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st July 2020, 10:56 AM

Also according to reports, people are beginning to suspect that BLM's aims might not be quite as laudable as they were initially assumed to be.

Marxism, destroy capitalism, eliminate police, forced compliance with the threat of violence: anyone with half a brain knows where their intentions lie. A Venn diagram of BLM's goals and Russia's/China's goals would intersect completely. The same goes for the people who support BLM and those who denounced Donald Trump's alleged complicity in colluding with Russia.

Meanwhile, China has eviscerated any freedoms left in Hong Kong, kicking sand in the face of the "50-year agreement" and promising life sentences (and organ harvesting?) for protestors. Secret trials with no juries? Who cares, because the rest of the world is busy pulling down statues.

Glad to see the U.K. stepping up and doing the right thing. The United States and the E.U. should also accept refugees from Hong Kong. Let the Chinese Communist Party rule over a ghost town bereft of its most important element: people.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3091404/britain-give-3-million-hongkongers-residency-rights-and-path

In the wake of both the situation in Hong Kong and the covid pandemic, I fear the rest of the world will have to get very serious with China very quickly.

So far it's suited the US to leave it be: if it can grow to be so powerful under an authoritarian system, how huge can it become if freedom and free enterprise are permitted? That cynical position isn't going to hold much longer.

I heard today that Michael Sheen's great-great-grandmother was a lion-tamer.

But, wait a minute - didn't he have eight great-great-grandmothers?

Which one was the lion-tamer?

And what did the others do?

We need to know.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st July 2020, 12:06 PM

Marxism, destroy capitalism, eliminate police, forced compliance with the threat of violence: anyone with half a brain knows where their intentions lie. A Venn diagram of BLM's goals and Russia's/China's goals would intersect completely. The same goes for the people who support BLM and those who denounced Donald Trump's alleged complicity in colluding with Russia.

Meanwhile, China has eviscerated any freedoms left in Hong Kong, kicking sand in the face of the "50-year agreement" and promising life sentences (and organ harvesting?) for protestors. Secret trials with no juries? Who cares, because the rest of the world is busy pulling down statues.

Hmmm. Not sure about all this to be honest.

Quote: Aaron @ 1st July 2020, 2:13 PM

So far it's suited the US to leave it be: if it can grow to be so powerful under an authoritarian system, how huge can it become if freedom and free enterprise are permitted? That cynical position isn't going to hold much longer.

The United States as been calling attention to China's aggressive intentions for at least 20 years now, but most of the world has only seen (insert a monetary symbol here) and now we find ourselves faced with an increasingly belligerent China. Things are shifting slowly, however.

The people of the United States don't care if a nation is more powerful than their own. They care if a nation which is a sworn enemy and Communist stronghold becomes more powerful than their own. The best thing that could happen would be for the Chinese people to oust their dictatorship and enjoy the fruits of their labors as members of the international community. Instead, their leaders are embarking on a path to settle old disputes and cement their positions as leaders of a cult of personality, and the end result will be untold numbers of bodies. It's happened before in China.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st July 2020, 12:06 PM

A Venn diagram of BLM's goals and Russia's/China's goals would intersect completely.

Really?
The ones I read seemed quite reasonable - a bit lefty for some, maybe.
But what do you expect - the current system seems to have f**ked them over fairly conclusively.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st July 2020, 5:46 PM

Really?
The ones I read seemed quite reasonable - a bit lefty for some, maybe.

Marxism, communism, anarchy, the destruction of capitalism - yeah, that seems a bit lefty for most reasonable people.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st July 2020, 5:46 PM

But what do you expect - the current system seems to have f**ked them over fairly conclusively.

In what way? We're all equal in the eyes of the law. Things are better than they've ever been, and they continue to improve. But I guess burning it all down seems like a good idea to some. Hey, that "autonomous zone" in Seattle sure seems like Utopia: four deadly shootings in the course of 9 days. What a peaceful place the world is without police. Huh?

Quote: DaButt @ 1st July 2020, 5:58 PM

We're all equal in the eyes of the law.

Do you expect us to believe that if Catherine Zeta Jones was out shopping, as George was, that copper would stand on her windpipe for 8 minutes 46 seconds? I wonder what her safe word is ? George's safe words were "I can't breath".

Quote: DaButt @ 1st July 2020, 5:58 PM

Marxism, communism, anarchy, the destruction of capitalism - yeah, that seems a bit lefty for most reasonable people.

In what way? We're all equal in the eyes of the law. Things are better than they've ever been, and they continue to improve. But I guess burning it all down seems like a good idea to some. Hey, that "autonomous zone" in Seattle sure seems like Utopia: four deadly shootings in the course of 9 days. What a peaceful place the world is without police. Huh?

I don't think BLM necessarily are advocating those things in fairness. Certainly not all or even most people supporting BLM.
All equal in the eyes of the law? Things are better than ever? Really?
Are we quite sure about all this?