I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,178

I think killing people is bad. I was reading on the Internet, which is a sort of database with information on it, about terrorists who are people who kill other people and I think that is bad. It is just not a nice thing to do. I think it's wrong and people should do something to stop it, especially politicians who in my opinion do not do enough. We should be nice instead.

You writing Trump's speeches now Mike ?

I just heard a track by popular Italian singer Gianna Nannini. It's about wars and bombs and killing, and she argues wars and bombs and killing are bad because bombs kill people in wars. The chorus urges, 'Stop it!' World leaders were listening to Top of The Popsters and agreed to stop all wars and bombs and killing by supper. Well done! Ms Nannini now plans to free every political prisoner, feed all African children (even the naughty ones) and cure each known disease just before she sends the kids back to school. Keep it up Gianna, you're AWESOME.

Beautiful and impossible ! :)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th June 2020, 4:42 PM

Graham Linehan, creator of the sublime comedy "Father Ted" has been banned from Twitter.
His crime? There are several, according to reports, but his most recent outrage was his suggestion that men aren't women. ...
It's a funny old world.

If you think that's funny, you might enjoy reading through approx 150 recent pages on Cookd and Bombd of Graham Linehan being called an ugly f**king transphobic c**t with a failed marriage: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,80980.0.html https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,80113.0.html https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,80965.0.html It's very educational. When a man decides he is a woman, he is now a woman. When a woman decides she is a man, she is a man. When parents get puberty blockers from the NHS for young children, that's cool. Anyone who disagrees is a c**t. Especially if they post transphobic stuff on social media, then they're asking for a relentless kicking of online vitriol. No one takes any glee in hating Graham Linehan, it's just a moral compunction to combat transphobia in the ongoing socio-cultural war. Just as gays were persecuted and mocked in the West in the past for being different, there is now an American right-wing funded effort to opress transvestites, People who disagree should be called "Karen".

In news reports today, we learn that the man shot dead by Glasgow police after running amok with a knife has been named as Badreddin Abadlla Adam.

When he arrived in this country, had immigration officials been more astute, they might have noticed that his name begins with "Bad", reading it from right to left it begins with "mad" and his middle name falls only just short of being "a bad lad".

The clues were there!

In Detroit, a police car has apparently driven into a crowd of BLM protesters, sending several of them flying and injuring about a dozen.

Witnesses are describing the incident as a deliberate act of aggression.

Aggressive behaviour on the streets of America?

It shouldn't be allowed.

The iconic and fondly remembered teatime TV show "How" is to return to our screens, according to reports.

It originally aired in the mid-1960s and gave fascinating explanations for "how" things happen.

In those days, of course, the world hadn't gone completely bonkers and it was still totally acceptable for people to hold up one hand, palm outward, and say "How?" in the style of what was then known as a Red Indian. Accordingly, that was how the show would open every week - with the presenters performing the gesture and asking the question to camera in their best Red Indian accents.

I'm not sure whether or not that gesture and question would be acceptable today in the show's opening sequence even if the show were to be hosted by a group of Native Americans - but I'm guessing not.

That being the case, the originally quite witty play on words has been abandoned for the new series.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th June 2020, 1:44 PM

In Detroit, a police car has apparently driven into a crowd of BLM protesters, sending several of them flying and injuring about a dozen.

The two videos I watched did not show a police car driving into a crowd of protesters and sending them flying. Rather, they showed protesters moving in front of a stationary cop car, which then tried to move forward slowly and accelerated when protesters had jumped on the hood/bonnet.

Quote: Kenneth @ 29th June 2020, 2:10 PM

The two videos I watched did not show a police car driving into a crowd of protesters and sending them flying....

Try this video, you can see someone close to going under the car, plus people flying off the bonnet and at the end the car picks up speed with someone still on the bonnet. They endangered lives with unnecessary force at a protest against Police endangering lives with unnecessary force. This after many years of passive protest, i.e. taking the knee, which was ignored and ridiculed by their President. Victim blaming won't keep them at bay anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU8sL7Yq9Q

Quote: Firkin @ 30th June 2020, 11:49 AM

Try this video, you can see someone close to going under the car, plus people flying off the bonnet and at the end the car picks up speed with someone still on the bonnet. They endangered lives with unnecessary force at a protest against Police endangering lives with unnecessary force. This after many years of passive protest, i.e. taking the knee, which was ignored and ridiculed by their President. Victim blaming won't keep them at bay anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiU8sL7Yq9Q

If I peacefully protest against semi-trailers by stepping in front of semi-trailers (Eng: lorries) on a busy road, I know what to expect. Being a peaceful protester doesn't mean jumping on top of a police car or impeding its right of way on a public thoroughfare. The original post on this issue made it sound like the cop car drove at speed, ramming into a bunch of protesters, which is false. It merely accelerated when the halfwits impeded its path. What do you do? Wait for the mob to grow bigger and smash your car with you inside it? The protesters in question seemed to be predominantly white, belatedly jumping on the protest bandwagon and then surprised when the bandwagon wasn't so much fun.

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th June 2020, 1:46 PM

What do you do? Wait for the mob to grow bigger and smash your car with you inside it?

As you can see from the photo, the vehicle's window was smashed and that's why the cops drove away. The car was being beaten by skateboards and signs, and when the window shattered the officers thought they were being shot at. Listen to the video from inside the second vehicle and you can understand why they might have thought there was gunfire.

https://twitter.com/detroitpolice/status/1277724634457178112?s=20

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th June 2020, 1:46 PM

Being a peaceful protester doesn't mean jumping on top of a police car

Kenneth you make some fair points, but without Malcolm X the authorities would never have listened to Martin Luther King. Trump belittled and ridiculed the movement, he gave them no option but to escalate things. If the blatant denial continues we might see the return of the black panthers, but I sense Trump losing the election might also clam things and the timing of this is no coincidence imo.

It's not about a detail in this video, its about tens of thousands of racists acts, seemingly enabled by their President and a Police force that desperately needs reform. I feel very proud of how our Police have managed to recover from similar riots in the 1970's, but America always lags on matters of this nature.

I was quite taken aback this morning when I read that Boris had appointed David Frost as national security adviser, although I wasn't surprised to read that other politicians were complaining that he has no political experience.

"Hello, good evening and stop blowing things up!" were the words that immediately ran through my head.

However, it soon became clear that Boris's appointee is NOT the David Frost whom I grew up knowing and loving. It is in fact, as John Cleese might say, somebody completely different.

A bit of googling revealed that "my" David Frost died in 2013.

Quote: Firkin @ 30th June 2020, 2:29 PM

Kenneth you make some fair points, but without Malcolm X the authorities would never have listened to Martin Luther King. Trump belittled and ridiculed the movement, he gave them no option but to escalate things. If the blatant denial continues we might see the return of the black panthers, but I sense Trump losing the election might also clam things and the timing of this is no coincidence imo.

It's not about a detail in this video, its about tens of thousands of racists acts, seemingly enabled by their President and a Police force that desperately needs reform. I feel very proud of how our Police have managed to recover from similar riots in the 1970's, but America always lags on matters of this nature.

I'm commenting on Roodeye's deliberately erroneous description of this cop car incident. Doubtless intended to elicit precisely this sort of frivolous, time-wasting contention. I get that America has a problem with racist police acting with impunity. I applaud the peaceful protests. But white kids thinking they are cool by smashing up a cop car is as ignorant, counter-productive and divisive as Trump encouraging violence against blacks. On the Panthers, I read Eldridge Cleaver's autobiography many, many years ago and still remember his recollection of practicing rape on black girls before moving on to white girls and his desire to slit white throats. I don't think America is on the path to regressing to such a political movement. Just the thrill of looting some Nikes in response to a culture of racist law enforcement. The white kiddies could focus on dismantling Trump Tower and tipping it into a river.