Absent friends Page 179

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th June 2020, 3:13 PM

not to mention the insulting "did you see what I did there", like we're all thick and finishing off his "comedic pieces", which are effin' hilarious (NOT!) with a Laughing out loud emoji.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th June 2020, 11:16 AM

Vera Lynn has passed on, I'm afraid - at the ripe old age of 103.

She was and will continue to be a legend.

I'm sad to say that neither I nor anybody else will be meeting her again.

Do you see what I did there? Laughing out loud

:O

Quote: jsg @ 18th June 2020, 11:20 AM

:O

............and so m'lud, the case rests and is proven that Rude Eyeball is a retard.

I wish Billy would come back. :(

Horse seems to have bolted.I hope he's alright.

Quote: john tregorran @ 18th June 2020, 8:14 PM

Horse seems to have bolted.I hope he's alright.

So do I.

I hope he comes back soon.

In the meantime, it might be a good idea for somebody to shut the stable door.

Tsk tsk ! Too many eggs Rood.

Thanks John and Rood.

I had a severe corona-culture nervous breakdown 15 days ago and am still very, very fragile.

Essentially, I am in recovery, eased back in the first days by ten hour videos of fish in the sea and birds and cows in English country gardens.

Days three and four were helped by Hancock, Round the Horne, and pretty much anything else by Kenneth Williams plus I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue from donkeys years ago. In short, I couldn't take in any human beings - real or media - unless they were recorded prior to 1973 and preferable 1962. This is still approximately the case.

Then it was about three days of being permanently glued to the bed. I am full of psychological and physiological pain and having to come to terms with the fact that not all 90 year olds are Attenborough and some may actually have taken leave of their senses in ways that just didn't seem possible in March.

It's good to see some familiar names back............and I hope to dip in whenever I can.

Welcome back fella!

All the best

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th June 2020, 7:03 PM

Welcome back fella!

All the best

Thank you lofty.

That's so good of you.

In the millions of thoughts I have had swirling around in my head and unable to process until now-ish, one point I would make for this forum. The beauty of Williams, who just becomes more uniquely great to me as the decades pass, Sorry/Clue etc is that they are/were seriously crackers - it is funny nonsense by serious people - which is an antidote, to use a word, to a world where everything has become madly serious with the feeling that many/most people are now mad. The two things are not at all the same and I like the first so we must preserve these shows for all time for mental health.

Also, now statues are tumbling, could BCG draw up a list of comedy greats and linked places for potential new statues? For example, along the lines of Norman Wisdom in Douglas and Eric and Ernie in Blackpool? Maybe each could say BCG which would be good promotion for the forum? Just a thought.

Eric's statue is already in Morecambe?

But yes, time was in this country that wealthy powerful people erected statues of wealthy powerful people - some of them not worth the bronze they were made of

Rip'em down and celebrate good decent people instead

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th June 2020, 7:44 PM

Eric's statue is already in Morecambe?

But yes, time was in this country that wealthy powerful people erected statues of wealthy powerful people - some of them not worth the bronze they were made of

Rip'em down and celebrate good decent people instead

Yes - Eric's is - but the better one is the new one of the two of them in Blackpool.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-statue-of-eric-morecambe-and-ernie-wise-by-graham-ibbeson-in-the-domed-125959314.html

Someone I know locally drew my attention to the Norman Wisdom one in Douglas, Isle of Man which she has a photo of with her arm around him as he died pretty much in the same place at the same time as her father who was a Wisdom fan:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2387230

I have never been to either Blackpool or Douglas but both statues look good to me.

Welcome back from me to.The social isolating during the virus epidemic is no problem as I'm concerned ,people have been avoiding me for years.

Quote: john tregorran @ 26th June 2020, 9:01 PM

Welcome back from me to.The social isolating during the virus epidemic is no problem as I'm concerned ,people have been avoiding me for years.

You are too good for most of them.

Thanks for your welcome back John.

Morningtown Crescent! :)

Not exactly friends but certainly people who have passed on and thus become absent - Bobby Farrell (the rather superfluous bloke in Boney M, who had a big hit with "Rasputin") died in the same city and on the same day of the year as did the mad monk himself.

December 30th, St Petersburg.

Spooky!

Really???

Was he poisoned, shot , set on fire and then drowned too?!