Hancock's Half Hour Page 16

Tony Hancock as the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.It might have happened in a parallel universe.

Why won't the Yanks leave our shows alone?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 25th June 2020, 6:22 AM

Years ago I wrote a Chortle article about how radio is a stronger medium than telly and Hand Cock is a perfect example along with Hitch-hikers'. No one cares that I did that. Not even me.
I had the vinyl rerecordings of those, including the George Michael sample. No one cares about that either. Nothing says funky like Hancock's landlord.
For me, Hancock lost it when Will Smith took over. I know black lives matter now, but his timing isn't as good as Anthony's, and the Sid James character is sorely missed. Beckett's Happy Days didn't work for me either. It's a different type of humour, I guess.

What on earth are you on - whatever it is I should be wary of how much you're ingesting.

Quote: john tregorran @ 25th June 2020, 1:20 AM

Yes, when it had Tony,Sid,Hattie and Bill with Kenneth joining in from time to time it was the best radio.

I could go on at length about HHH on the radio, but restrict meself to my Top Twelve :-

The Poetry Society
The Gourmet
The Childhood Sweetheart
Bill and Father Christmas
Hancock's War
The Last of the McHancocks
Almost a Gentleman
The Diary
Cyrano de Hancock
Back from Holiday
The Blackboard Jungle
AND the absolute pinnacle for me is..................
Sunday Afternoon at Home
...........every minute of that one is pure comedy Gold - the script and each member of the cast has classic very funny lines.

Cock toe Twins. This post is off topic.
My first experience of Hunkcock was Blood Donor followed by The Missing Page. It was almost all downhill after that.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th June 2020, 9:29 AM

What on earth are you on - whatever it is I should be wary of how much you're ingesting.

I could go on at length about HHH on the radio, but restrict meself to my Top Twelve :-

The Poetry Society
The Gourmet
The Childhood Sweetheart
Bill and Father Christmas
Hancock's War
The Last of the McHancocks
Almost a Gentleman
The Diary
Cyrano de Hancock
Back from Holiday
The Blackboard Jungle
AND the absolute pinnacle for me is..................
Sunday Afternoon at Home
...........every minute of that one is pure comedy Gold - the script and each member of the cast has classic very funny lines.

I would add :)
Fred's Pie Stall
The Wild Man of the Woods
The Unexploded Bomb.(Sid to vicar:"Tell me vicar as a student of ecclesiastical architecture.How much lead do you reckon is on that big gothic one on the corner?"

Firkin................(Cannot quote post it seems when it has been "greyed out")

Herc have you omitted The Blood Donor from your list, to point out you are a sophisticated fan? I love the lot, even though I'm technically the wrong generation.................
But other than Laurel and Hardy, Groucho a couple of films, pre 1950s surely
......................... what other comedies from the 50s or earlier has stood the test of time?

Au contraire! My list is from the ones that were radio shows only. Of course, I love the Blood Donor, Radio Ham, The Lift, The Missing Page etc. and the gem that is Hancock Alone.

The bedsit one bored me shitless. More sad than funny. Some dick Is now gonna say that's the whole point. Well I've saved you the time. Dick.
Blood Donor for me, followed by Radio Ham and then all the others.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 26th June 2020, 2:10 PM

The bedsit one bored me shitless. More sad than funny. Some dick Is now gonna say that's the whole point. Well I've saved you the time. Dick.

I can honestly say I've never heard it referred to as that, Dick.

I think the economy drive is my fave

The Bed Sit one is sad but entertaining. I don't know the time line but G&S couldn't have been far off Steptoe and that's quite dark. The Blood Donor is my favourite, more chance for interaction. "We are not all Rob Roys".

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th June 2020, 10:52 PM

Hancock's best TV was his last series just called Hancock. Had all the classics. Blood Donor, Radio Ham, etc...

Yes Hancock is the only series I think I've watched, and that's the repeats of it when they used to show them. Surely these haven't fell foul of the PC censor have they? They are Classics which may teach these sitcom writing stand ups what a real sitcom is.