Hancock's Half Hour Page 15

"Like most lost things, we find them when we've given up looking."

You don't get stuff like that written on the back of matchboxes anymore,do you?

Quote: john tregorran @ 12th September 2019, 2:43 AM

"Like most lost things, we find them when we've given up looking."

You don't get stuff like that written on the back of matchboxes anymore,do you?

Oh God, don't get me started on phillumeny - I've got thousands still from this, my main hobby as a sprog and now don't know what to do with them.

"Cinderella Hancock" (Series 1 Ep. 10)

That's better! - I feel they are getting into their stride now and The Lad was brilliant! Very funny script too. Most enjoyable. :D

The Chef That Died of Shame

This week's offering from R4+, and it's one of those like The Blackboard Jungle where they played characters rather than themselves, but that's as far as it goes as the latter was funny and this was not, being more to do with the later "crew" sparking off each other probably and G & S still not fully having found their feet.

Yeah not one of my faves that

4extra have a 3 hour Hancock special on right now...

Hancock's Happy Christmas on Radio 4 Extra @ 7.30am, 12 noon & 7.30pm on Christmas Day. Just the entertainment to go with your breakfast of wheatybangs soaked in Courvoisier or your pre-lunch sherry with the vicar or your cup of tea & slice of Tunis cake.

Preceded at 7.30am & 5.30pm by Prime Minister Hancock, an episode of the Missing Hancocks.

Call me an idiot, this is an unpopular opinion. I've watched the series. I don't really enjoy it. I find it boring, I don't get any good laughs, Sid James is much better in Carry Ons and Bless This House. I thought I would love this, but I don't in fact I almost hate it it's that bad for me.

Quote: Wheel @ 24th June 2020, 10:07 PM

Call me an idiot, this is an unpopular opinion.

Non sequitur. The Sun outsells The Bell Jar.
It doesn't rock my world either. I enjoy it but people go into ecstasy over it. File under Blackadder. Sorry, Adder.

Hancock's best TV was his last series just called Hancock. Had all the classics. Blood Donor, Radio Ham, etc...

Quote: Wheel @ 24th June 2020, 10:07 PM

Call me an idiot, this is an unpopular opinion. I've watched the series. I don't really enjoy it. I find it boring, I don't get any good laughs, Sid James is much better in Carry On's and Bless This House. I thought I would love this, but I don't in fact I almost hate it it's that bad for me.

I'm a huge fan of HHH the radio show - it's one of, if not THE best comedy radio shows of all time.

But the TV shows do leave me a little cold.

They just didn't work anywhere near as well.

Does anybody know why Bill Kerr wasn't in any of them?

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th June 2020, 10:52 PM

Hancock's best TV was his last series just called Hancock. Had all the classics. Blood Donor, Radio Ham, etc...

I tend to agree, as the radio series didn't transfer to TV well - classic example of this was the Tellygoons, which just didn't work as you had it in your head what was going on with the radio series and the "embellishments" failed, especially with the Goons, not so much with Hancock.

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th June 2020, 10:54 PM

For the radio shows, Bill Kerr was cast as Tony's lodger despite Tony making it clear that he wanted Graham Stark for the role.

As the radio series progressed, Bill's importance in the show was reduced while Sid's grew and grew.

When the show was moved to TV, it was very much Tony and Sid - with Bill deemed surplus to requirements.

I'm a huge fan of HHH the radio show - it's one of the , if not , THE best comedy radio shows of all time

But the tv shows do leave me a little cold

They just didn't work anywhere near as well
see above

I think it was the beginning of the end - Hattie wasn't in them either (I think?) and KW in only a few, then eventually Sid went and then we had "Hancock Alone", then G&S went, then........................Bill was inevitable and the first signs of Hancock's conflict with his ego.

I'm a huge fan of HHH the radio show - it's one of, if not THE best comedy radio shows of all time.

But the TV shows do leave me a little cold.

They just didn't work anywhere near as well.

Yes, when it had Tony,Sid,Hattie and Bill with Kenneth joining in from time to time it was the best radio.

Years ago I wrote a Chortle article about how radio is a stronger medium than telly and Hand Cock is a perfect example along with Hitch-hikers'. No one cares that I did that. Not even me.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th June 2020, 10:52 PM

I had the vinyl rerecordings of those, including the George Michael sample. No one cares about that either. Nothing says funky like Hancock's landlord.
For me, Hancock lost it when Will Smith took over. I know black lives matter now, but his timing isn't as good as Anthony's, and the Sid James character is sorely missed. Beckett's Happy Days didn't work for me either. It's a different type of humour, I guess.