Next Of Kin Page 5

Thanks.

I do wonder about the region codes. I have a Region 1 player (since I'm in Canada) and recently acquired a "Multiregion" player for DVDs I buy from the UK.

What confuses me is that some of the DVDs I get from the UK say Region 0 but they don't play in my Region 1 player. But I thought I read somewhere that Region 0 DVDs will play in any player.

Sorry if this is off topic.

Will they not play in your laptop?

I know Region 2 will play on my computer -- which I can hook up to the television -- and I have a Region 2 DVD player as well but I just wondered what Region 0 means... I thought it meant it would play on any DVD player but it doesn't. Just curiousity.

Complete DVD collection comes out on 25th April.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/4746/next_of_kin_series_1_3_dvd/

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd January 2016, 4:04 PM GMT

Complete DVD collection comes out on 25th April.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/4746/next_of_kin_series_1_3_dvd/

About time!. It was released in Australia on region 4 last year and I bought that thinking it would never be released over here.

Watched the first series of this. I could've done with more focus on their grandparents and a bit less on the children. The child actors might be good as far as child actors go, but it's not exactly Outnumbered. The two sons have little in the way of character. Georgia matches and surpasses Maggie's mostly unaddressed rudeness, which has a knowingness about it that makes less sense from a child than it does from an old person.

It would be nice if there was more on the emotional side, and some moments of levity could also come from that. There's some good lines in it, but that's not the same thing.

Never heard of this before and surprised it existed tbh, as it looks like a heavy premise for a sitcom. Not something I'd attempt to pen or even watch. Just a note on the 'middle classness' comments, yes if you ask me there was way too much of it on mainstream TV in the past, domcoms and famcoms were almost exclusively 'well brought up middle class'. You'd have to ask why, given most of them were middle rate at best. Like I said, never even heard of this one. Morning.

There were a few mainstream sitcoms in the 90s that were quite dark, yeah.

And creatives are disproportionately middle class I suppose.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th June 2020, 7:34 AM

Never heard of this before and surprised it existed tbh, as it looks like a heavy premise for a sitcom. Not something I'd attempt to pen or even watch. Just a note on the 'middle classness' comments, yes if you ask me there was way too much of it on mainstream TV in the past, domcoms and famcoms were almost exclusively 'well brought up middle class'. You'd have to ask why, given most of them were middle rate at best. Like I said, never even heard of this one. Morning.

It was on BBC Entertainment and BBC Prime in2000s, I remember liking it

The youngest child wouldn't eat anything round.

That's quite funny but doesn't it make you yearn for the days when, at the onset of that fussiness, he'd immediately have been given a variety of round things to eat and, at the first sign of reluctance, smacked soundly around the head until he'd done so?

There's something about the wide shot of the living room that's reminiscent of recent multi-camera setups. It feels very still, I don't know if there's something about the production that makes it feel this way but it's a feeling I don't really get with old sitcoms. It doesn't make sense either as there's quite a few on location scenes and also different camera angles inside, but sometimes it just stays on that shot for a bit.

At the recommendation of a post earlier in this thread I watched the first episode of the second series. If we get to see the play that one of the sons is dressing up as a locust for then I'll have to watch on, as the nativity at the end of the Christmas special is one of my highlights of the series so far. The joke was how poor the acting was but tellingly it wasn't much different to how the two lads are written anyway.

With how rude Maggie's been to her I've warmed up to Georgia a bit, I think it helps that she's got a Lee and Herring poster in her room.

Edit: There's no follow-up on the play the locust costume was for, to say the least. God, it gets mawkish at points. And I think they have more orange juice in that house than all other food and drink combined.