Sykes Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ 16th April 2016, 7:31 PM BST

My understanding is that the initial release did not sell well enough for further series to be financially viable. Now the BBC have more reasonable costs for programme licensing, and so the rest of the series is due to be released, perhaps commencing later this year.

Oh, really? That's great. Is this something that's been confirmed, by Network or another DVD company?

Confirmed by Network. They'll also be completing releases of their other BBC titles, such as The Goodies.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th April 2016, 7:42 PM BST

Oh, really? That's great. Is this something that's been confirmed, by Network or another DVD company?

I can't seem to find anything on Network's website about it? Either way, this is fantastic news. A release in time for Christmas would be perfect

Quote: beaky @ 16th April 2016, 6:54 PM BST

Did anyone see Eric Sykes in a straight role in The Others? Excellent ghost story.

Yes, and very good he was too in what was a superb film.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th April 2016, 8:16 PM BST

Confirmed by Network. They'll also be completing releases of their other BBC titles, such as The Goodies.

That's very good news.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th April 2016, 8:16 PM BST

:O :) Wow about time. I had almost given up hope of seeing any more releases. Just hope that it actually does happen.

Just started watching the box-set of Sykes (12 discs of the 7 series of 68 episodes) I bought for myself as a birthday present and it remains as funny as ever. Also, for me, the gentle humour gives me a warm glow. :) Such a lovely tonic to relieve the stress of modern life.

Anyway, before I drift off too far, a couple of comments on the first three :-

In the first episode "Burglary" the policeman was played by Robert Keegan, with Deryck Guyler not appearing as Corky until the third one "Walk", so I wonder why RK lost the job so quickly. ;)

And my main reason for this post was, it was a bit of a surprise to see Lennard Pearce (OFAH Grandad of course) as a posh member of an exclusive golf club. (OK, I know he's an actor but nevertheless the accent was so different)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th February 2018, 10:40 AM

Just started watching the box-set of Sykes (12 discs of the 7 series of 68 episodes) I bought for myself as a birthday present and it remains as funny as ever. Also, for me, the gentle humour gives me a warm glow. :) Such a lovely tonic to relieve the stress of modern life.

Anyway, before I drift off too far, a couple of comments on the first three :-

In the first episode "Burglary" the policeman was played by Robert Keegan, with Deryck Guyler not appearing as Corky until the third one "Walk", so I wonder why RK lost the job so quickly. ;)

And my main reason for this post was, it was a bit of a surprise to see Lennard Pearce (OFAH Grandad of course) as a posh member of an exclusive golf club. (OK, I know he's an actor but nevertheless the accent was so different)

Slightly off topic. Lennard Pearce also appeared as a doctor in the S5 E1 of Nearest and Dearest "Make Yourself At Home"

Sykes as a sitcom actor is one of my favourites. Totally agree with the OP about his arm actions. You could definitely watch this with the sound off and laugh your head off still.
I need to invest in the full 68 episode box set as I only have the full 1972 series.

I really enjoyed this. Thought it was great. Eric and Hattie are a great combination and the Policeman is fantastic too played by the person who played the caretaker in Please Sir. A great show, enjoyed it!

Eric and Hattie were splendid - individually and together.

Eric had great talents as a comedy actor and also as a comedy writer.

Hattie, sadly, was rarely cast in a role in which her generous proportions were not relevant.

Essentially, she spent much of her life in comedy (an area in which she excelled) but I think it's true to say there was a very good serious actress inside her waiting to get out.

PS. Because this is a website frequented by so many comedians, I fully expect one of them to add, "This serious actress you're talking about - did Hattie eat her?"

PPS. There, I've done it for you - you fattist bastard!

Quote: Wheel @ 24th June 2020, 8:11 PM

I really enjoyed this. Thought it was great. Eric and Hattie are a great combination and the Policeman is fantastic too played by the person who played the caretaker in Please Sir. A great show, enjoyed it!

Deryck Guyler, emigrated here to Brisbane.
He was a copper in A Hard Day's Night too.

Eric wrote some Goons when Spike was unwell.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th June 2020, 9:16 PM

Eric wrote some Goons when Spike was unwell.

Also with Spike, but they didn't always see eye to eye over wording - the use of one word could start a big row.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th June 2020, 11:22 PM

Also with Spike, but they didn't always see eye to eye over wording - the use of one word could start a big row.

Just remembered the time when Eric won a comedy award and as a suprise they got Spike to interrupt a show Eric was in to present it to him on stage - very moving and funny.

I have a read a book by Eric but some time ago.He seemed to think that the others didn't put in as much effort with his stuff as they did with Spike's. I suspect upsetting Spike would be very easy to do.:)

The man was a mad comedy genius - Spike, that is.

He was like Tommy Cooper, he had funny bones. I would imagine he could make you laugh reading out a pub menu. Loved "The Plank" but I think the Teletubbies was his best work.