The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 44

RIP Michael Angelis

I loved him in boys from the black stuff

RIP

John Peter Sloan, comic and English teacher. Sloan became a legend in Italy when he said, 'A language is something you speak.' Genius.

Steve "are you ready Steve...." Priest of the Sweet.
not my type of thing but they were very popular in the 70's
RIP

Quote: chipolata @ 28th January 2020, 11:49 AM

RIP Nicholas Parsons.

Thought it didn't sound good when Giles Brandreth took over from him for a couple of weeks, and very weird coincidence - was listening to the repeats of "Jest A Minute" on R4+ when Sarah Millican said to Rhod Gilbert "You're no Nicholas Parsons" after hearing the very sad news earlier in that day.

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th April 2020, 2:28 PM

TBT - oh no.:OErrr

Was listening to ISIRTA on Radio 4 + at the time - Lady Constance de Coverlet............another weird happening. I hope I'm not cursing these people.

Vera Lynn has passed on, I'm afraid - at the ripe old age of 103.

She was and will continue to be a legend.

I'm sad to say that neither I nor anybody else will be meeting her again.

Do you see what I did there? Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 9th May 2020, 10:39 PM

So what were the original lyrics then? And how do you know? Did you write them?

Whoa Chappers! You question the knowledge of the great seer and BCG fount of information?! :O You know what he can't glean from others on this forum to reuse or Google or Wiki, he makes up and hopes everyone is as stupid as he is and accepts what he says as fact.

RIP Vera
A bit before my time, my father was more of an Anne Shelton man.

Vera was a tremendous morale booster for our troops in World War II.

In those days, when stars of stage and screen were seen as not much short of deities, it must have lifted the hearts of those servicemen (and women) and civilians a mile high to hear Vera singing on the radio and God alone knows what the effect was on the troops who actually got to see her perform live in the war zone!

I can't think of any other single person who made a more valuable contribution to Allied morale in those dark days when, for quite a while, the result of the war could have gone either way.

I doubt very much we shall ever see her like again.

RIP Vera.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th June 2020, 9:53 PM

In those days, when stars of stage and screen were seen as not much short of deities, it must have lifted the hearts of those servicemen (and women) and civilians a mile high to hear Vera singing on the radio and God alone knows what the effect was on the troops who actually got to see her perform live in the war zone!

Suggest you read Spike Milligan's war memoir Where Have All the Bullets Gone for some insight into whether servicemen deified stage stars. Incidentally, it was Spike Milligan who suggested to Stanley Kubrick to use "We'll Meet Again" in Dr Strangelove.

Vera's funeral is to be held next week.

Don't know where, don't know when.

Ian Holm. RIP

Apparently he was in The Power Game,that was very good,but I don't remember him in it.:(

One of my favourite film actors. Never less than excellent. You always knew he would surprise you - Perfectly cast in Alien.
RIP

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 30th December 2019, 1:14 PM

RIP Neil Innes

So, during the early 80s, after we'd moved to Hertfordshire, my wife and I decided to get an Irish Wolfhound and we were told of a couple who lived on the Suffolk/Norfolk border who bred them, so off we set.

They didn't have any puppies for sale at that time, but they put us in touch with two young gentlemen outside Norwich who had some for sale and we bought one, BUT I digress................

As we walked around this elderly couples cottage, I noticed all these photos on the walls of John Cleese, Terry Jones etc. etc. and obviously asked what was the story, and they told me their son was Neil Innes and they'd had all the MP crew there for tea at one time or another.

RIP Mr Innes, I will always remember you for this classic :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCtkJxyYsrc

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th June 2020, 4:32 PM

Vera's funeral is to be held next week.

Don't know where, don't know when.

Imagine if there is a World War III

Which of today's tuneless, slutty little scrubbers would entertain the troops today?

And when I say entertain, I mean keeping up their moral with a nice stirring song- not dancing around with their baps half out whilst twirking