Coronavirus Page 60

That's all. Erm, I'm thinking now maybe Ben didn't mean he was furloughed but was simply working from home like hundreds of thousands of others who could do their daily job from home to avoid social contact. That wasn't being furloughed, Ben, if that was the case. And your employer doesn't need to worry. All sorted.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th June 2020, 12:08 AM

That's all. Erm, I'm thinking now maybe Ben didn't mean he was furloughed but was simply working from home like hundreds of thousands of others who could do their daily job from home to avoid social contact. That wasn't being furloughed, Ben, if that was the case. And your employer doesn't need to worry. All sorted.

I was put on furlough. And then taken off furlough after 10 weeks. I never said I was working for my employer during furlough. I understand what furlough is.

Quote: Ben @ 14th June 2020, 11:11 PM

I was put on furlough for 10 weeks. Been back two weeks now. Not too bad, but working from home certainly isn't the dream I thought it would be.

Forgive me for thinking you did. Never mind. Evening. Or morning again. :S

I will just add to that though Ben, that if you were doing paid work for someone else then you yourself were breaking the law, although I won't say anything. Unpaid work is fine, I'm sure that's what you mean. Night.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th June 2020, 12:20 AM

Forgive me for thinking you did. Never mind. Evening. Or morning again. :S

I will just add to that though Ben, that if you were doing paid work for someone else then you yourself were breaking the law, although I won't say anything. Unpaid work is fine, I'm sure that's what you mean. Night.

I don't think you understand tenses, Alfred. I am back at work and working from home instead of at the office. Perhaps stop being condescending. Buttering up your condescending attitude as concern doesn't make it any less repugnant.

And tense may be the key word. Writing is a poor conveyor of meaning at times but hey and ho.

I came on thread to comment on yesterday's News story that HMRC was investigating the wide misuse of furlough by employers. When I saw your post I thought I'd use it as the platform. Wasn't the best idea in hindsight, oh well.

I love a party with a happy atmosphere

Well, some turn up to parties in a non party mood. Nothing personal or patronising in it from me, simply puzzled by a post. (And happen to be fastidious.) I've got to be honest, I still don't get it. :D :S Why not back to actual workplace when furlough ends? If now working from home then surely that means he/one could have worked from home on full pay the previous ten weeks and not be furloughed? Am I missing something? Or maybe his work flow totally stopped due to clients being furloughed? I believe this has been the case for some.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st June 2020, 12:29 PM

I've got to be honest, I still don't get it.

Look, it's quite simple. If you were furloughed from March 1, the government will pay up to 80% of your wages, provided you have a full-time job and were not earning more than £2,500 per month and that you don't enagage in gardening while working from home, unless you switched jobs before the end of February in order to reduce your taxable income as part of a paternity or maternity leave deduction in line with the PAYE payroll, which will remain pro rata until the government rollover scheme requires you to resume full-time work from home with an exception for those who are self-isolating due to illness.

Boris said recently that social distancing measures will be greatly reduced soon because "The disease is increasingly under control."

Great news - except, of course, that it isn't increasingly under control.

What is under control is the spread of infection and that's been achieved by a combination of lockdown and social distancing.

When going about our business in the real world, our chances of infection depend largely upon the number of potential infection sources in our immediate vicinity and how closely we approach those sources.

With every relaxation of our lockdown precautions and with every reduction in the degree of social distancing we practice, our chance of contracting the disease increases.

This isn't rocket science: it's common sense and a bit of mathematics.

Unless the disease has somehow burned itself out, a second wave in the not-too-distant future seems very likely.

Quote: Kenneth @ 21st June 2020, 2:13 PM

Look, it's quite simple.

Huh?

Or retire, like me and none of that matters - ahh, the "joys" of growing old. :(

In Germany, where lockdown ended a while ago, the R rate has risen to way over 1 which signals a 2nd wave which should be demanding a 2nd lockdown according to the experts. This is the trouble, no western country wants to call that 2nd lockdown, even though they've said they will.

What I find even more worrying is there are many reports of key worker burnout and this isn't going to be helped by any further lockdowns. Many are actually feeling victimised by having to work at risk while most are protected at home on near full or even full pay. It's causing a lot of bad feeling evidently.

With Boris superficially confident (and blatantly keen to make the public believe) that he is getting coronavirus under control, the world yesterday had its biggest daily increase in infections since the crisis began.

183,000 new cases worldwide.

The largest number of new cases occurred in Brazil with almost 55,000 people newly diagnosed.

To my very great shame, I've just come up with a really good joke about that.

Yes, I know I shouldn't have but sometimes things just jump into your mind.

Scientists are now warning that opening schools in September could cause a surge in coronavirus infections, spreading the disease throughout the whole country.

I actually said that on these very pages some considerable time ago.

Does that mean I know more about virology than these government scientists?

I don't think so. My prediction many weeks ago and their prediction today fall under the category of "the absolutely bleeding obvious".

The kids will go back to school. A great many of them will become infected but not seriously affected and will cheerily spread the disease throughout their families, friends and neighbours at home who will, of course, spread it to others.

And it will all happen just in time for winter - quite possibly coronavirus's favourite season of the year.

To me, it seems likely that coronavirus thrives in cold conditions and that means Britain is going to have one hell of a Christmas - and I don't use the word "hell" in a positive sense.

We're doomed, I tell you - doomed!

If you're going to open the pubs (wrong IMHO) - why on earth do it on a Saturday??
Open on Monday 6th and the pubs get a quiet run in, getting their act together for the week-end - which would be hard enough as it is.
Saturday is going to be carnage.
The resulting deaths will be down to Boris (as are those for going into lockdown late etc)
And wasn't July 4th originally the day we could drink in pub gardens only - and at 2 metres!?
The science hasn't changed.
The virus hasn't gone away.
All that's changed is pressure from back-bench Tories, with one eye on their share portfolio and the other on the bungs they get from the Brewing industry.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th June 2020, 12:28 PM

The resulting deaths will be down to Boris

Is he forcing people to leave their homes for a drink at the pubs?