Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt

I have just finished watching the first series of this and I absolutely love it.

I didn't know much about it going in, thinking it would be a good filler of an evening but it's magic!

Bill Maynard and the rest of the cast (most of whom I haven't seen in anything else) are brilliant and I look forward to watching the next few series.

Selwyn is so daft but loveable. Though I'm not sure I would enjoy living with him.

I haven't seen this for years but really enjoyed it when it was originally on.

Really enjoyed the first 3 series of this. Great stuff to watch. The 4th series is really poor, it should have never been made, it was awful, it lost the charm and good characters of the first 3 series.

This was good. Bill Maynard had so much stage presence, what a character. Never understood why they didn't repeat this more.

Quote: Wheel @ 13th June 2020, 7:01 PM

The 4th series is really poor, it should have never been made, it was awful, it lost the charm and good characters of the first 3 series.

The sequel, Selwyn? There's a reason they didn't make another!

Quote: Aaron @ 17th June 2020, 10:26 AM

The sequel, Selwyn? There's a reason they didn't make another!

I thought it was just a 4th series of Oh No It's Selwyn Foggitt, didn't realise it was a sequel, because it's in the complete Selwyn Foggitt DVD set.

Quote: Wheel @ 19th June 2020, 9:23 AM

I thought it was just a 4th series of Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt, didn't realise it was a sequel, because it's in the complete Selwyn Froggitt DVD set.

Yeah - it's a sequel. There's a reason the set is The Complete Selwyn Froggitt rather than The Complete Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt, or a variant thereof. :)

I've got the individual series releases rather than the set, but I would have thought the blurb on the back or the info inside says something about it?

Quote: Aaron @ 19th June 2020, 1:51 PM

I've got the individual series releases rather than the set, but I would have thought the blurb on the back or the info inside says something about it?

This is what it says on the back of the DVD case :-

"This release brings together all three series of ONISF along with the final series Selwyn and the original pilot episode from 1974."

Was this a trend with 1970s sitcoms - got me going again with the first episode having two (this time - one previous with "Citizen Smith") different actors in it from the pilot.

The mother now played by Megs Jenkins and David Lodge (of all people) losing his part as the brother Morris (sic), to a la Trump hair comb over Bob Keegan.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th January 2021, 8:45 AM

Was this a trend with 1970s sitcoms - got me going again with the first episode having two (this time - one previous with "Citizen Smith") different actors in it from the pilot.

The mother now played by Megs Jenkins and David Lodge (of all people) losing his part as the brother Morris (sic), to a la Trump hair comb over Bob Keegan.

I'm not sure I'd call it a trend as such; it's always happened, and continues to do so. It's perhaps more evident in the 70s though as they were making and broadcasting more pilots then.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th January 2021, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure I'd call it a trend as such; it's always happened, and continues to do so. It's perhaps more evident in the 70s though as they were making and broadcasting more pilots then.

Makes you wonder why the change and/or why they didn't get it right the first time, for e.g. David Lodge in the pilot as Selwyn's brother, as he was an actor I always associated with films.

The first episode also had the character name changed to the more sensible Maurice.

It'd vary wildly, from the preferred actor not being available at pilot stage, to the preferred actor not being available for Series 1, contractual wranglings, the director's vision, audience research - all sorts. I can't find any explanation for this one, which suggests the silence may be diplomatic!

Thanks for that Aaron. So, appraisal.

Well, this was another box set that was bought for me at Christmas, being one I hinted at as I was a fan of Bill Maynard from way back on TV, and so it goes in my box set rotation, where I watch one disc only from each set - binge watching a set is a complete anathema to me.

This is not a series to watch if you are feeling stressed, because you can come away from watching this slightly exhausted as the character starts to get under your skin.

Don't get me wrong, it is very funny and you can see why all and sundry try and avoid the main character, with "Oh no! It's Selwyn". He drains you with his frenetic energy, but watching his family and friends suffer is where the chuckles come from.

I know if I was living/working with a man like that, I'd be saying every day "For Christ's sake Selwyn, give it a bloody rest, will yer!!"

Just watched Episode 3, where Selwyn is made the club's concert secretary just to keep him quiet - bloody hysterical! Laughing out loud This series is getting better as we go on.

Just watched "Selwyn Rides Again" S2 E4, with Lynda Baron as the new barmaid. Brilliant!