Red Dwarf: The Promised Land

Only halfway through but I'm enjoying it. No it isn't anywhere near the first six series but it's still a joy to see these characters

Its utterly abysmal and fanboy fodder. The laugh track is excruciating: raucous inane hilarity at the lamest joke being trotted out for the umpteenth time. And christ, do they look old!

Well I still enjoyed it. Lovely to have Norman Lovett back, as ever he gets the best lines. The only thing I thought they might have done was added a bit of depth to Cat given it was the perfect story for it. Either way, I hope they either do another series or round it off with one last special. Ideally Rob Grant would return for a finale but I appreciate that will likely never happen.

Didn't see it but when a sitcom is used for a TV advert (AA) then I don't hold out much hope. The AA must have paid a lot of money to secure all the characters and the theme tune but it's selling out of the highest order. Some later series were ok but now they all work as a close knit team it's nothing like the dynamic of the first few series when the Cat was off doing his own thing mooching around the cargo decks and Rimmer spent his holographic time being vile towards Lister. Hattie is good but Norman has that face that can make me laugh without speaking.

It did seem that creating conflict with people who know each other too much is difficult. The Cat tells Rimmer that he only thinks he's thinking. But don't we all?

Watching it now and enjoying it. It's not classic Dwarf by any means, but it has an easy escapist charm that's especially welcome at the moment.

Quote: chipolata @ 12th April 2020, 9:42 PM

Watching it now and enjoying it. It's not classic Dwarf by any means, but it has an easy escapist charm that's especially welcome at the moment.

I agree. If you get a chance, UKTV Play added some bonus features of outtakes and a behind the scenes, especially nice to see how close all the cast are as friends.

Well I thought it was very good, apart from the reject understudies from the "Cats" musical. OK, they were an integral part of the story which I thought spoiled it.

Some great gags though among the four, but thought Hollie had lost a bit of his pessimism.

One of my favourite shows 'Happy Families' never got a second series, partly because the budget was for Red Dead. I use that to break the ice at job interviews. I don't get accepted very often.