'Blacking up' / 'Blackface' Page 4

Am I right in saying Spike blacked up and played an Indian/Pakistani in 70's ITV racist shitcom Curry & Chips?

You're right he played Kevin O'Grady. He was an Irish/Pakistani, rather unfortunately nicknamed 'pakipaddy'. How this thing could even be commissioned let alone aired defies all logic.

He did something similar for Till Death Us Do Part, but there's a fascinating discussion raging over whether that show is racist because It depicts racist views or non-racist because it satirises the views depicted.

If you have racist people in comedies - non racist people will laugh AT them and how ridiculous their views are - but racist people will laugh WITH them and along with them ,in a "yeah that's right mate, you tell 'em how it is!" way.

I bet plenty of bonehead NF supporting morons in the 70's worshipped Alf Garnet

Yes. Some argue these shows are racist because they depict racist views, whereas others hold that they are non-racist because they satirise these racist views depicted.
I always thought the 'sell the corpse to the kebab guy' in the second ep of Bottom wasn't their style. Well, not always. Sometimes I thought other things. Still, wasn't as bad as the Smith and Jones bit.
So are these shows racist because they depict racist views? Or are these shows non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted?

I'd have to think about that really

Can I get back to you on this later , I'm just off for a poo.

Yes. You see some say these shows are racist because they depict racist views; others argue that these shows are non-racist because they satirise these racist views depicted. So are they racist because they depict racist views? Or are these shows non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted?
I could say these shows are racist because they depict racist views. Or I could say that these shows are non-racist because they satirise the racist views depicted. Or I could shut the f**k up because I've been making this ''''joke'''' for days and It wasn't funny in the first place.

The latter

????

Rofl

The debate goes on.

Now let the Freedom Train come zooming down the track
Gleaming in the sunlight for white and black
Not stopping at no stations marked coloured nor white
Just stopping in the fields in the broad daylight
Stopping in the country in the wide open air
Where there never was a Jim Crow sign nowhere
And no lilly-white committees, politicians of note
Nor poll tax layer through which coloured can't vote
And there won't be no kinda colour lines
The Freedom Train will be yours
And mine"

There was an Omid Djalili skit about Nigerians that he said he made 'because I find their accent funny.' I'd love the reaction if Jim Davidson defended himself like that. 'Why do I take the piss outa Pakistanis? They sound so f**king funny when they try to speak English.'

Channel flicking, I chanced upon two 1990s films that wouldn't pass muster today. The atrocious comedy Encino Man has Brendan Fraser blacked up when defrosted early in the film. He is not deemed clean or suitable for mainstream interaction until the darkness has been washed off his face. Then there was Bicentennial Man, in which Robin Williams starts out as a tinted robot slave. He can only become accepted as a proper human when he loses his original color and becomes white. I hope that if there is a remake of this fine film, the makers will use a real robot, who identifies as a human and is accepted as a human without resorting to any cosmetic or surgical changes.

I think I may have found the ultimate edge case for this debate.

In Community, S03E12, "Contemporary Impressionists", white actor Gillian Jacobs wears white make-up to impersonate a latter-day Michael Jackson.

Is this racist? She's wearing make-up to impersonate an African-American man.

Is it blackface? Does the color of the makeup matter?

Worlds gone f**king mad

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/25/media/splash-mountain-disney/index.html

Have you seen sky movies?
They have warnings about racism in the Disney cartoon movies Alladin and The jungle book.