Little Britain's racist, isn't it? Page 15

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th May 2018, 2:02 PM

I'm not sure which is funnier: this sketch or the comments on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvKlmerjFa8

Yes very good although I can't be arsed to read all the comments. So well observed like most of Little Britain which is NOT racist!

F**k, that's two people who've agreed with me in 45 years. The comments are what you'd expect and honestly, there are only so many times you can have the same conversation (unless it's about Melanie C's shoulders).
The sketch is a tad longer than usual as it didn't make the final show - the ones that do get edited. Same for 'correct' which is a lost gem.

I'm growing increasingly frustrated at the blatant bias of the BBB towards me as a white, middle aged man in their comedy. I can listen to Hancock, Round the Horne without any malice being made in the name of politics or comedy - it was fun. Are we seriously taking offence at Hancock assuming a Doctor Mac (whoever) lapsing into a Scots accent to which Doc replies, "We're not all Rob Roys"; or the Scots fella playing the flute in his hotel (Little Britain); or Goodness Gracious Me poking fun at the English ("Going out for an English").
I now see the BBC output as deliberately political - comedians only given airtime if they constantly snipe at the "thick, uneducated, Brexit voters. Or we somehow priviliged because of our whiteness.. I actually feel like the persecuted and being racially slurred at the moment. This is how intolerant we have all become and comedy has suffered as a consequence.

Little Britain removed from BBC iPlayer, Netflix and BritBox due to use of blackface: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5801/little-britain-removed/

Yet the BBC still shows a clip of The Talons of Weng-Chiang, a Tom Baker Doctor Who serial in which a non-Asian portrays an Asian. Disgraceful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01frxjl

That's cos black lives matter now. Didn't you know?

The Mighty Boosh and League of Gentlemen have gone too:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5801/little-britain-removed/

Golly!

I heard they are trying to get rid of Only Fools and Horses now! How ridiculous that TV shows are being removed because of a few snowflakes it's ridiculous! They choose to watch it and get offended, so it's their own fault! How come it's been on the air since 1981 and no one said anything at the time? No TV show should get removed because of snowflakes! I am sorry, it's ridiculous and awful, that a few people ruin it for the majority, so the company should stand up and tell the snowflakes where to shove it because I am really angry that they've removed some sitcoms shows and OFAH is next. What are they going to ban Last of the Summer Wine for? Ageism? Nora hitting Compo with a brush. I didn't mean to rant, but I am angry and fuming at what's happening. I bet it's the same people who have kids who listen to that awful rap music, which has a lot of swearing, violence and racism in, I bet they aren't complaining about that!

Quote: Wheel @ 11th June 2020, 1:34 PM

I heard they are trying to get rid of Only Fools and Horses now! How ridiculous....

Four seasons of OFAH are currently available on Netflix. You're right it would seem ridiculous to pick on OFAH, but do you remember people getting upset about the EU forcing us to change the colour of our passports and the shape of our bananas ? Those were false stories designed to rabble rouse to get Brexit moving. What specifically were they attacking OFAH for ? I can see why Little Britain may offend, it was always their intention to shock and offend, but OFAH is it plonker getting upset ? Rolling eyes

Quote: Firkin @ 11th June 2020, 2:38 PM

Four seasons of OFAH are currently available on Netflix. You're right it would seem ridiculous to pick on OFAH, but do you remember people getting upset about the EU forcing us to change the colour of our passports and the shape of our bananas ? Those were false stories designed to rabble rouse to get Brexit moving. What specifically were they attacking OFAH for ? I can see why Little Britain may offend, it was always their intention to shock and offend, but OFAH, you must be a right plonker to get upset by that. Rolling eyes

I was reading it on a few OFAH groups apparently UKTV are looking at every episode of OFAH and reviewing them and making sure the content is suitable for transmission. Richard Watsham is the person overseeing this, so it could mean a number of episodes pulled from the schedule

Quote: Wheel @ 11th June 2020, 1:34 PM

I heard they are trying to get rid of Only Fools and Horses now!

Oh dear.

Fawlty Towers will be next, Not just because the Major uses racist epithets, and not just because of Basil's shock at seeing a black doctor, but because of the incessant racist abuse against Manuel. The old line of "we're laughing at the racism of Basil and the Major" just won't wash anymore.

Carry On Up the Jungle and Carry On Up the Khyber will have to go too, on account of some of the actors wearing makeup to darken their skin. Anyone who disagrees is a racist and worse than Morrissey (who tellingly used Carry On clips/actors in some of his song videos, compilation covers).

I miss the good old days of kids' TV https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1vWOPu5onVM

Quote: Kenneth @ 11th June 2020, 4:47 PM

Fawlty Towers will be next, Not just because the Major uses racist epithets, and not just because of Basil's shock at seeing a black doctor, but because of the incessant racist abuse against Manuel. The old line of "we're laughing at the racism of Basil and the Major" just won't wash anymore.

Carry On Up the Jungle and Carry On Up the Khyber will have to go too, on account of some of the actors wearing makeup to darken their skin. Anyone who disagrees is a racist and worse then Morrissey (who tellingly used Carry On clips/actors in some of his song videos, compilation covers).

Follow that Camel and Cowboy as well.

I hope they don't ban the Fawlty Towers blackface episode because that's one of my favourites.