dinnerladies

I thought this Victoria Wood sitcom was excellent. The book of scripts - "dinnerladies - First Helpings" is a great read for a script book - which aren't everyone's cup of tea. Shame we never got the "Second Helpings" released. Like everything else, it probably all boiled down to sales at the end of the day.

Never really 'got' Victoria Wood, apart from Acorn Antiques. I think people just admired her for being one of the first women to make it. Her can't-wait-to-bonk song is beyond cringeworthy.

Back in the 70's I met Victoria Wood in the Playhouse Manchester when I was dabbling in comedy writing.
I was involved with the Little and Large radio show. I think it was that one. Victoria Wood was the "support" act. She was really nice ... quiet ... shy ... early days for her. I think the show's producer Ron Mcdonnell had seen or heard of her so she was his idea to be on the show. I don't know if Syd and Eddie spoke to her but it's funny to think that she went on to become Victoria Wood while they stayed as Little and Large.

Quote: George Franklin @ 7th June 2020, 9:36 AM

I thought this Victoria Wood sitcom was excellent. The book of scripts - "dinnerladies - First Helpings" is a great read for a script book - which aren't everyone's cup of tea. Shame we never got the "Second Helpings" released. Like everything else, it probably all boiled down to sales at the end of the day.

Thanks for posting, George - but we do have a couple of existing dinnerladies threads already, so I'm going to close this one to keep the chat together:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/227/