Overrated sitcoms? Page 25

Dad's Army.
I like some characters - Mainwaring, Wilson and Godfrey - but find the others and their escapades very silly or in the case of Jones very annoying.

Quote: Looper007 @ 19th January 2019, 1:26 PM

The IT Crowd: This is Graham Linehan's most overrated work.

My numerous attempts to find The IT Crowd funny have all failed miserably. There's too much dross in it.

I like one episode. The Work Outing from Series 2. That's quite good.

Only Fools and Horses. For a bit it was great. Then it really wasn't. It was bloated over-sentimental and manipulative, and seemed to exist mainly to buy John Sullivan a holiday home in Spain.

Absolutely Fabulous. Histrionic showing off (apart from the gigantic talent of June Whitfield). Aimed at the fashion/PR world that few viewers are familiar with. Much the same as W1A is only a world that media tossers recognise.

OFAH was ok with grandad,he had all the best lines.When Uncle Albert turned up,I left.

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th June 2020, 1:00 AM

.When Uncle Albert turned up,I left.

And, boy, did he turn it up.
Trouble was, everyone else had to over-act to keep up.

Although it did keep up an impressive amount of quality for such a long running British show even with Albert
But they should have finished after the watch, or even Peckham Spring

Yes that's OFAHn been said but I read somewhere that after Sullivan thought it was going to end after Series 5 I think it was, and hearing the fans' dismay, when Jason changed his mind and committed to it they both decided to run it as far they could to keep its fans happy. I don't think they were bothered by critical reception, if millions tuned in, it was keeping them happy and all the actors employed.

BTW what's happened to your full stop button, did you break it?

Quote: paulted @ 3rd June 2020, 7:33 PM

Absolutely Fabulous. Histrionic showing off (apart from the gigantic talent of June Whitfield). Aimed at the fashion/PR world that few viewers are familiar with.

It was definitely Histrionic parody, so joyfully done it was more a tribute than a satire, I felt. But I differ with the second bit as it was essentially a sitcom for women (and gays) so many of them would've known from the glossy magazines and adverts what the people behind it were like or they certainly would've suspected it. Fair play, they hit a rich seam with it, however much they overplayed it. Funny scripts too.

I'll add Drop The Dead Donkey. Always gets lots of positive mentions but it looked too much like a sketch show to me when I watched. Thought it was all very loose. Wasn't bad, just very over rated for me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th June 2020, 7:53 AM

.....decided to run it as far they could to keep its fans happy. I don't think they were bothered by critical reception, if millions tuned in, it was keeping them happy ....

Interesting points. America seems to milk more than we do. Their version of the office had 4.5 times as many seasons. The Simpsons has managed 31 seasons. Why do British sitcoms give up so soon, it's not good economics? I was a huge OFAH and Ab Fab fan and would have wanted to see more, even though the quality faltering to the end.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum, for me was over rated because it went for the easy laughs. Even for its day it was full of old fashioned easy targets. Poking fun at race, transvestites, shouty sergeants and it even had an actor that blacked up every show. Not to mention the singing and dancing. Older ensemble comedies like Dad's Army shame it with their modern approach.

It's a shame that some sitcoms get routinely abused while some are feted as if they are fabulous painted works of art. Whilst watching the likes of Mrs. Brown's Boys, Are You Being Served?, On The Buses (all of which are not my cup of tea), I can at least recognise that they lack pretension and aspire to belly laughs - they are what they are. Where the writers and performers of certain comedies try to be oh-so clever-clever it can be detrimental, off putting and end up alienating viewers. Good examples of hitting a middle ground can be found in sitcoms which are smartly written with great performers, clever dialogue, and characters who are not just ciphers. Fletcher in Porridge fits the bill as he is well written, acted, and works as a character who we shouldn't really like, given his past, but we all love.

Well it's ultimately a matter of taste I suppose
I' never liked the Carry on Movies when I was younger because they seemed to obvious and cheesey, but now I quite appreciate them, I may not watch a whole movie all the way through but if it's on I'll watch a bit and appreciate the very good comedy actors doing their stuff

Ofah started badly and ended badly and there was a real dip inbetween.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 6th June 2020, 1:34 AM

Well it's ultimately a matter of taste I suppose
I' never liked the Carry on Movies when I was younger because they seemed to obvious and cheesey, but now I quite appreciate them, I may not watch a whole movie all the way through but if it's on I'll watch a bit and appreciate the very good comedy actors doing their stuff

Director Gerald Thomas to the crew at the filming of Carry On Dick "We're not here to shoot poetry! We're here to shoot a load of shit". Arf arf! Ooh Matron! I only arsked!