Kate & Koji Page 2

Another one which of course shows that we have differing opinions. I do enjoy it but cannot abide Mrs Brown.

It's quite interesting watching this, seeing how long the gap is between when the studio audience laughs, it's a long time. I do wonder why they chose this script to be a studio sitcom? It just isn't funny enough (with the caveat that of course some poeple find it so and that;s fair enough. Personally, I don't). Isn't the average for a studio meant to be three or four gags/laughs per page? This is lucky if it gets that over three pages.

Maybe Sitcomfan64 that's because they're playing it safe. The Cafe looks like the one used by Count Arthur Strong. A seaside setting like Scarbrough/Benidorm and I've never seen Brenda Blethin misfire.

To draw an analogy from the world of sport (cue theme music), you could take 11 football players all of whom are good in their respective positions and you can put them under a good manager - but that won't necessarily give you a team that's going to go out on the pitch and get results.

I think something similar has happened with Kate & Koji.

Most of the press critics appear to be quite strongly against it but some people seem to like it.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter a damn how many people don't watch a sitcom: what matters is how many people do watch it.

The series will live or die on its viewing figures plus, of course, ITV's determination to ram it down our throats.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th March 2020, 7:17 PM

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter a damn how many people don't watch a sitcom: what matters is how many people do watch it.

5 million-odd.

Found the first two episodes painful to watch so I won't be watching anymore.

I'm out, I'm afraid.

On the cusp of being recommissioned. I'm obviously way out of step with what the majority of folk find, funny, I thought it was dire. Or at least, dire for a studio sitcom. The premise actually could have made a very good drama and kept the same cast.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11732261/patsy-palmer-eastenders-too-many-episodes/ (scroll down)

I've got to agree the comedy was pretty dire

I suspect it was recommissioned before TX, during the studio recordings. And I'm not remotely surprised. It performed very well for ITV at broadcast too. The first episode topped 6 million, with the series average consolidating at 5.12m.

Another series of this? Really? Well bugger me. I have been rinsing Drop The Dead Donkey these past 2 months. I can't believe the same writers 30 years later have ended up scraping the barrel with this dire drivel. ITV have not got a Scooby Doo about sitcoms.

Yes, confirmed.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5795/kate-and-koji-to-get-series-2/

It performed very well for the channel. Hopefully it heralds a new era and more sitcoms will follow.

Reminds me of Dr. Ravic - German medic, stateless refugee living in Paris, - working for food.
(Arc de Triomphe by Erich Maria Remarque).
We remember him liking calvados.

I see this real grumpiness, not good humoured one - Mrs. Brown style, - but old-fashioned, irritated grumpiness bordering with not so civil behaviour, with humour arising only from wit - she cannot help it. Premise is good, I don't complain - there are so many much worse TV series nowadays.

Brenda Blethyn is 74, I remember back to when people use to be retired at 74.

She's probably stopped working in cafes and supermarkets.

Five odd million a show and a second series coming. Hmm, am I too cynical to say this got aired at the just the right time? I tried it for five minutes and was genuinely left dismayed at the lack of funniness. But this, Still Open All Hours, Hold The Sunset and Boomers suggests the older audience is by far the most healthy market for sitcoms now, and they're not too demanding about what they get.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th June 2020, 10:35 AM

But this, Still Open All Hours, Hold The Sunset and Boomers suggests the older audience is by far the most healthy market for sitcoms now, and they're not too demanding about what they get.

The television audience has always been focused around the older end of the population. The difference now is that there is so little comedy on, and even less still that is suitable for broader viewing, that those few that do tick that box, or do depict older characters, face a far lower quality bar to become hits.

(That is not to say I agree with the suggestion they are necessarily lower quality, mind.)