Code 404

Has anybody seen the new Sky One comedy Code 404? Got a lot of the cast from Line of Duty including Stephen Graham and Daniel Mays.

Really funny. Mays and Graham are brilliant. Mays in particular does a particularly funny stupid turn! Really recommend it if you've not seen it.

Really like all the cast so watched with high hopes, but didn't smile until Stephen Graham got run over. Daniel Mays OTT character doesn't leave any room for anyone else. Can't help feeling if his character were toned down he and everyone else might benefit. That, and a script doctor to up the quality and quantity of gags. For instance -

When Mays dies, his boss says we will name something nice after him like a' canteen or a bird bath'. And the line is lost. It would have worked better if when his boss said "We will name something nice after him like a building or a canteen" Graham said "Just make sure it's not one of those crappy bird baths". Cut to Graham, a year later, shaking his head and muttering, as we pan back to see the bird bath. Same actors, same shots, almost same dialogue, buts makes a much stronger gag.

Will give it another go just for the cast.

Utterly abysmal!

Quote: gb901 @ 12th May 2020, 11:25 PM

Utterly abysmal!

Yes.. I tried two episodes and found it to be a painful watch. Such a shame given the decent cast list but sadly it was utter dross.

I think the problem with this is tone. If it was going for Police Squad gags it wasn't silly enough. If it was a realistic comedy drama the characters weren't strong enough, Mays in particular too OTT to take seriously

I'm loving it. Lots of big laughs; great performances from both leads; and just eminently watchable throughout. Very pleased there'll be more series.