Talking Pictures TV Page 4

Forthcoming guests on Sunday Night at the London Palladium with potential interest to those on this site include:

1 March: Peter Cook & Dudley Moore (along with The Searchers and Peter, Paul & Mary)
8 March: Frankie Howerd plus Arthur Haynes (along with The Hollies and Pete Seger)
15 March: Michael Bentine (along with Cliff Richard)
22 March: Spike Milligan (along with David Nixon, Paul & Barry Ryan and Russ Conway)

I can't remember ever seeing Michael Bentine or Spike as stand up comedians.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th February 2020, 6:06 PM

Forthcoming guests on Sunday Night at the London Palladium with potential interest to those on this site include:

1 March: Peter Cook & Dudley Moore
8 March: Frankie Howerd plus Arthur Haynes (along with The Hollies and Peter Seger)
15 March: Michael Bentine
22 March: Spike Milligan (along with David Nixon, Paul & Barry Ryan and Russ Conway)

Arthur Haynes!!!!!!! Must get the incontinence pants out. Bloody legend.

Talkingpicturestv (owned by Talking Pictures TV Ltd) won the 2.45 at Catterick today by 13 lengths @ 4/1

Article in today's Mail on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233463/Shedflix-Father-72-daughter-reach-3-5-million-views-week-classic-movie-channel.html

Quote: Chappers @ 19th April 2020, 8:17 PM

Article in today's Mail on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233463/Shedflix-Father-72-daughter-reach-3-5-million-views-week-classic-movie-channel.html

Interesting.

The opening paragraph of TPTV's latest newsletter for info:

"It's been difficult at Talking Pictures TV HQ this week. As you know we rely on adverts to pay all the bills to keep us on air for you all - for free. Without adverts, we have no way of putting a shilling or two in the meter and paying for all the film rights, the transmission centre, the satellites, the cables, etc. With the current situation we don't have any advertisers. There are no cruises, no holidays, no products to advertise as all the warehouses are closed, so we are grateful for any adverts we can get at the moment. In these difficult times I thought I should make you aware of the situation as sadly we don't get a license (sic) fee to help towards the costs. It's more important now than ever that you go forth as Talking Pictures TV ambassadors and spread the word in any way you can. There have been some great supporters of ours on Radio Shows ringing in to make people aware of us; also newspapers and articles talking about how Talking Pictures TV is their safe haven. I know everyone appreciates the work Dad and I do for you all, but honestly if there was ever a time we needed you to campaign for us, it is now."

Watching Rumpole of the Bailey. Some very famous faces. Then I thought is that Liz Hurley? Sure enough it is.

I had to IMDB it to confirm this. Then I saw she has a Facebook page. It's terrible. All it has is loads of photos of her in bikinis.

Not that I don't believe you but I feel it's my duty to check up on that.There's too much misinformation about at the moment.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th February 2020, 7:37 PM

Were you a regular of the Grafton Arms or the Windmill? I think they were passed their prime (or at least chose not to practice stand up) when VHSes came out so there's not that much video evidence.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th February 2020, 3:20 PM

Freddie and the Dreamers were probably the strangest group ever to achieve cross-generational popularity in the swinging 60s. Musically, they had hits with some excellent pop songs (by the standards of the day) and Freddie had a very good voice.

However, the way they pranced about on stage was best "cute" and at worst absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Be that as it may, however, they were very good at what they did.

Did anyone watch their childrens' series, 'Oliver in the Overworld?' I think it was on in the late 60s. I still listen to the soundtrack.

Spike was on Sunday Night at the Palladium, on TPTV...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ps6Mh_o5NE

And this is Bentine with his done to death chair back routine - he also did something similar with a sink plunger. Neither that funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjCAveJUM4

Spike had a double LP record out, Live at Cambridge University (1974), with South African songster Jeremy Taylor doing some musical interludes (sometimes accompanied by Spike). Spike did some stand-up shows in Australia in the 1970s and 80s.

Thanks both and welcome back Grytpype :)

I've been watching a few things on here recently. I caught the end of "The Dummy Talks" from 1943 the other night which featured Jack Warner amongst many others and the Ivy Benson Band. I saw them - or rather an updated version - at a holiday camp in the mid-70s. I couldn't see who was "The Dummy" but it could've been Jimmy Clitheroe. I'm sure Herc will put me straight.

Now I'm watching Hannay from 1988 starring Robert Powell and also featuring Gavin Richards. Whata mistaka to make!