How to name a sitcom? Page 5

Quote: kate to the party @ 18th May 2020, 9:55 AM

How about 'Rough Day at the Office'

Sounds good, but I'm looking for something that's not so long.

Quote: Alfred Noakes @ 18th May 2020, 12:39 PM

The Half Nelson

Maybe I can use that.

Any other suggestions?

Most sitcoms are named after the main character. Predictable, I know.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 18th May 2020, 4:42 PM

Most sitcoms are named after the main character.

That's not true, is it? :O

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2020, 5:22 PM

That's not true, is it? :O

Actually, sometimes it is true. Take for example, the old CBS sitcoms series "Rhoda". The series is entirely based on the main character, Rhoda Morgenstern.

However, in this series, the main character is Michael Sherman, 25-time world heavyweight wrestling champion turned office boss.

The setting of the series is meant to take place in Boston, Massachusetts.

I don't know about most but many are named after the characters. From the televised 2004 Top Ten list of British sitcoms two used the central characters' surnames, two used the characters' job titles and one used a combo of Surname and idiom.

Of the other five, three used apothegms, one used a metaphor and one used an epithet as titles.

So there you are, from just ten of the most popular sitcoms ever you have no less than six different common ways to title sitcoms should you still be searching. I tend to favour idioms and epithets when titling mine (including the episodes) but each to their own, who can argue with the success of Blackadder and Fawlty Towers?

Unmasked

"You're Out"

Kendo

Blue Corner

Red Corner

On the Ropes

Little Daddy

Tag-Team

Tap-Out

Submission

Haystacks

Or if it was set in London WWE-17

Is it a good idea naming your submission "Submission", Will?

"Boston Crab" is a wrestling throw/hold...?

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th May 2020, 1:17 PM

Unmasked

"You're Out"

Kendo

Blue Corner

Red Corner

On the Ropes

Little Daddy

Tag-Team

Tap-Out

Submission

Haystacks

Or if it was set in London WWE-17

Sounds good, but the series is set in Boston, so the last one would be eliminated.

I also don't really understand the "Little Daddy" one, considering it wouldn't really fit the sitcom.

Any other suggestions, guys?

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th May 2020, 3:09 PM

"Boston Crab" is a wrestling throw/hold...?

Yes, The "Boston Crab" is a professional wrestling hold that typically starts with one wrestler lying in a supine position on the mat, with the other wrestler standing and facing him. It is a type of spinal lock where the wrestler hooks each of the opponent's legs in one of his arms and then turns the opponent face-down, stepping over him in the process. The final position has the wrestler in a semi-sitting position and facing away from his opponent, with the opponent's back and legs bent back toward his head.

Quote: Firkin @ 18th May 2020, 10:03 AM

Really depends on the tone, but if it's a bit of a carry on: Slap and tickle ?

This is a comedy series meant to be taken seriously. Jokes are definitely going to be used, but this is by far, one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I'm sorry.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th May 2020, 3:05 PM

Is it a good idea naming your submission "Submission", Will?

I submit Laughing out loud

Quote: DiamondSmackdowner9728 @ 20th May 2020, 7:32 PM

Sounds good, but the series is set in Boston, so the last one would be eliminated.

I also don't really understand the "Little Daddy" one, considering it wouldn't really fit the sitcom.

Any other suggestions, guys?

Yes, The "Boston Crab" is a professional wrestling hold that typically starts with one wrestler lying in a supine position on the mat, with the other wrestler standing and facing him. It is a type of spinal lock where the wrestler hooks each of the opponent's legs in one of his arms and then turns the opponent face-down, stepping over him in the process. The final position has the wrestler in a semi-sitting position and facing away from his opponent, with the opponent's back and legs bent back toward his head.

I missed the Boston bit.

There was a famous wrestler called Big Daddy.

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th May 2020, 9:24 PM

I submit Laughing out loud

I missed the Boston bit.

There was a famous wrestler called Big Daddy.

Really?

What sort of business is the office?

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th May 2020, 9:56 PM

What sort of business is the office?

The series is set inside the corporate offices of the Diamond Wrestling Corporation (DWC), in Boston. The series is entirely based on NBC's The Office, but it's a parodic version, and it's much more quirky than the original.

Diamond Geezers

Rough Diamonds