BCG Pro's Yellow Door Script Call

Wondering if anyone could clarify if the 3 scenes are scene changes of physical location or of story beats.
i.e Is INT/EXT one scene if the conversation moves between indoors and outdoors of a house? Or would they be classified as 2 scenes? I guess I'm wondering if the 10 pages has to have only 3 scene headings in the script for it to be considered?

Usually they want a limit to the number of physical scenery.

Hi Murray. Sorry for the slow reply. It's "story beats" there. I believe the desire for marking three scenes is just to help check you understand story structure. If you've got any other questions, just let us know. contact@comedy.co.uk is the quickest way to get hold of us.

Hi Mark, thank you for shedding light on that, I really appreacite it.
I'm quite new to BCG pro so thanks for letting me know I can email you guys direct.
Cheers

Quote: Mark @ 15th May 2020, 12:08 PM

It's "story beats" there. I believe the desire for marking three scenes is just to help check you understand story structure.

It obviously hasn't worked because I'm another who didn't get that from the header. Why not call it a Ten Minute Sitcom and save the confusion? If you piece together the requirements listed on the page then that's what it amounts to, a ten page or ten minute sitcom. Why be shy about it, every other competition is asking for the same thing now, so why not use the same direct wording?
Surely the best way to check you understand story structure is to ask you to write a ten page sitcom, not to submit three scenes of a sitcom which may or may not follow on directly from each other.

If they'd asked for three Acts I'd have got it without coming here. TBH I'm still wondering if they do infact want you to present it in three separate scenes, as the use of the word 'scenes' is prominent throughout. So if you write a complete sitcom script which tells a whole story with all sorts going on, set in one room with no scene breaks, expect to be rejected. And I'll want to know why if you aren't, Murray. Angry

We've done 10 pages with three different scenes.

Congrats to everyone who made it through to next round, great going and good luck.

Quote: GAP1 @ 26th July 2020, 7:51 AM

Congrats to everyone who made it through to next round, great going and good luck.

Yes good luck. I didn't make it through.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th July 2020, 5:14 PM

Yes good luck. I didn't make it through.

Me neither, and I can't blame anyone but myself, i butchered 10 minutes out of a sitcom i am working on (which they specifically asked us not to do). So no complaints. I might post the sit com in critique, just for fun.

Anyway, good luck to those who did get through, sounds like a great opportunity.

Quote: playfull @ 27th July 2020, 3:49 PM

Me neither, and I can't blame anyone but myself, i butchered 10 minutes out of a sitcom i am working on (which they specifically asked us not to do). So no complaints. I might post the sit com in critique, just for fun.

Anyway, good luck to those who did get through, sounds like a great opportunity.

Yes, good luck to those who made it through. We didn't. Actually quite disappointed as we'd written it for the brief and got feedback before final draft submitted. We're still going to go ahead and write it up as a full length script and will then submit to writersroom etc next year.