I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,165

We've got them here too.They usually come from Queensland.

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th May 2020, 9:18 PM

Nah it's true!

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=56

Disney has got a lot to answer for.

Texas reported its largest one-day spike in new coronavirus cases on Saturday with 1,801 new infections.
It comes after the governor allowed all retail businesses to reopen on 1 May.
Around 700 of the new cases were reported in Amarillo, where a meatpacking plant has been identified as a source of the local outbreak.

I hope Marie is still waiting.

Yep - the fortnight lag in full effect.

This is what worries me about the current easing of lockdown.
The less intellectually-endowed punter will, over the next fortnight, become laxer and laxer, whilst watching the figures come down and down.
Every day the figure will be less, every day people will relax and do whatever the opposite of "Staying Alert" is.
The government won't draw their attention to this bit of broken thinking, because they're more interested in the FTSE 100.
Then, on Tuesday June 2nd, a spike in the numbers that will continue for a fortnight - and possibly longer.

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th May 2020, 9:42 AM

Yep - the fortnight lag in full effect.

This is what worries me about the current easing of lockdown.
The less intellectually-endowed punter will, over the next fortnight, become laxer and laxer, whilst watching the figures come down and down.
Every day the figure will be less, every day people will relax and do whatever the opposite of "Staying Alert" is.
The government won't draw their attention to this bit of broken thinking, because they're more interested in the FTSE 100.
Then, on Tuesday June 2nd, a spike in the numbers that will continue for a fortnight - and possibly longer.

On the other hand, if we accept that hospital deaths began to decline from 9 April, that is too soon for "lockdown", which started just 16 days earlier, to have had any affect (on developing symptoms perhaps but not on deaths). And the Governor of New York has reported that 66% of hospitalisations have been those staying at home - not those going out in the open air or using public transport:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

Billy give it a rest if you're so confident then go out and help people in hospitals and care homes instead of chatting Alt Right shit on a comedy site.
Or you could get a placard and stand outside parliament asking the Government to sit in the houses of Parliament whilst they're telling people to go back to work and send their children to school via Zoom from their own luxurious homes.

Of course we all want to rid the planet of the virus and the resulting deaths. But there's no reason to stifle debate about the best way to do it.

What you're promoting is not debate though is it Billy, this is not the Daily Mail comments section where you can preach to the choir, what you sowing are seeds of another ilk and I for one can see right through it.

What we need is a virus that only attacks those that don't believe in it.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 18th May 2020, 11:03 AM

What you're promoting is not debate though is it Billy, this is not the Daily Mail comments section where you can preach to the choir, what you sowing are seeds of another ilk and I for one can see right through it.

I have certainly been attempting to debate it. With facts & statistics to back it up. Unfortunately I am getting no counter-debate other than abusive and condescending comments. But don't worry, I will make sure any comments I post in the future coincide with the views of the majority on these forums. That's obviously the best way of debating vital issues in a democracy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th May 2020, 11:13 AM

What we need is a virus that only attacks those that don't believe in it.

And, of course, I believe in the virus. It would be difficult not to. The question is how best to defeat its devastating effect without putting others at risk (through the cancellation of scheduled operations and on-going treatment, through mental health issues and abuse caused by the lockdown and rising unemployment and through the inevitable lack of future funding for the NHS and other services, not to mention the effect on education and the arts for future generations). But don't worry, in line with my undertaking above, I will make sure that I don't show any empathy for those potentially thus affected in any future posts.

Hardly headline news but Cher is 74 today.

Happy birthday Cher!

how much of her is 74, I wonder

Mel C to have her new BBC radio show.Who would listen to that ??? :)

You would need a listener that was wholly and totally obsessed by the Spice Girls, over to you Micheal.

A young copper in his first week on the job was in training school and there was a system whereby officers that had to travel more than 20 miles to the school were entitled to free meals. Those who lived within a 20-mile radius had to pay for food.

This particular copper lived just within the 20-mile radius but nevertheless took his meals without paying for them - as he thought just a few miles shouldn't make any difference.

The authorities took a somewhat different view: they sacked him and banned him from ever again being a police officer.

It might be argued (correctly, from a strict legal interpretation) that he was stealing the food and that police officers who are found to be thieves should not be on the force.

Okay, but when one considers the infinitely more serious crimes that most police officers commit as a matter of routine, it does appear that this lad might have been treated somewhat harshly. :(

I think you need to have an industry to have a strike, Rood. Without theatres there is no industry. So your joke's a bit mixed up.