What are you reading? Page 12

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th May 2020, 4:44 PM

I'm reading 'The Best of Men Only'. It is total and utter f**king shit. 'Men Only' and there's not one man photographed. Ripoff.

I'd sue them under the trades Description Act.

And I love the William books - introduced to them by my Dad and I've got lots of old editions. No firsts unfortunately.

I was unlucky enough to be a William fan when the books were out of print. Tracking them down was fun but frustrating. Ditto Jennings.
Can't stand Billy C**ter though.

Cider with roadies - Stuart maconie

Quote: Chappers @ 17th May 2020, 9:34 PM

I'd sue them under the trades Description Act..

Men's World is just as bad.

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th June 2020, 10:10 PM

Cider with roadies - Stuart maconie

I love the fact that the writer of Cider with Rosie became famous because he wrote his memoirs. Cart before the horse?

Never heard of it/ him !

Just finished Arthur Smith's book "100 things I meant to tell you."

Poignant, funny, sad and an easy read coffee table book with 100 anecdotes. Couple of errors in it, but I forgive him.

Just realised there are two threads on this subject, both started in 2007 and one by Aaron :S

Whatever..........................

"Back Story" by David Mitchell. Quite amusing and makes me realise he is so much like his character in "Back" - perfect casting!

Oooer, just also realised the "Back Story" and "Back" titles.

A neighbour, recently bereaved asked me if I had any good books to read. Poor bloke is moth-eaten and now on his own.
I had a dig through and gave him a pile but I came across my full book set of James Bond novels by Ian Fleming.
I say Fleming because several authors tried writing James bond after Fleming died and they weren't a patch on him.

I had forgotten how good they were. The Bond films are just a mild version, toned down and made humorous.
Fleming's Bond is nasty and a killer without regret. You are hooked from page one.

The character of James Bond was actually based on me. A few years ago, obviously.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th February 2021, 12:15 AM

Just realised there are two threads on this subject, both started in 2007 and one by Aaron :S

Whatever..........................

I was a bit confused.

"Into the Woods - How Stories Work and why We Tell Them." by John Yorke.
Any writers on here who haven't read this yet need to have a stern word with themselves.
Yorke is ex-head of various TV drama departments and behind programs like Skins & Shameless.
Not a "How To" book in any shape or form, but full of terrific insights.
I think this is my third read.

Sniffin glue- and other rock n roll habits

Much like the virus, it'll take your breath away.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th March 2021, 10:10 AM

Much like the virus, it'll take your breath away.

Well I'm not going to waste my time reading it. Tell us firstly who had the time and input to research it and secondly whether they think we've succeeded or failed.

Then I'm certainly not going to waste my time explaining it.