What are you reading? Page 11

Borges short stories, in English, my Spanish isn't good enough for the originals.

Just finished 'All That's Dead by Stuart McBride, the third book of his that I've read. He's an excellent crime writer, plenty of humour, but not for the faint-hearted.

Now about to start Margaret Atwood's 'The Testaments'.

Douglas Adams' masturbation memoirs have appeared. So long...

Monty Burns autobiography 'Will there ever be a rainbow'

'How to see things though and stop swearing'. I couldn't be bothered to finish the c**t.

I don't give a f**k if androids dream of electric sheep. They're androids ffs. And sheep. Not even real sheep but f**king electric sheep, not even in reality but a dream and not even a human being's dream but a f**king android's and not even a real f**king android but a f**king fictional one ffs. F**k that.

Just about to finish Puckoon.

I am currently reading Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Who gives a f**k about some overpaid, underworked, totally self-obsessed little madame and whether hubbie wubbie weally does twuly love her? There are kids starving in India, you selfish cow. F**k you Jane. F**k your pathetic, 653rd-rate agonising that makes Emma Bunton look like Sylvia Plath. F**k your prissy, polite prose that makes Andrew Dice Clay look like another Sylvia Plath. And f**k your cute, twee, hermetically sealed, utterly self-contained parallel universe where the biggest issue is whether to have currant scones or cucumber sandwiches for elevenses. F**k you. No joke coming. Just go f**king f**k yourf**kingself.

The complete Sherlock Holmes stories for the thousandth time - still brilliant reading, even when you know all the twists.

Quote: beaky @ 16th May 2020, 11:31 AM

Sherlock Holmes stories

Although revered throughout the world, I think those stories are very much underrated.

They are quite simply (for my money, at any rate) the most wonderful adventure stories ever written.

I think, however, there might be a significant gender divide among readers' opinions inasmuch that they are very much "Boys' Own" stuff.

Nevertheless, anybody who enjoys a ripping yarn (and most boys do!) could not possibly do better.

Peerless fiction for boys of all ages!

The Nanny state Made Me: A Story of Britain and How to Save it by Stuart Maconie.
Funny and timely.

Quote: beaky @ 16th May 2020, 11:31 AM

still brilliant reading, even when you know all the twists.

Sounds like Lady Chatterley to me.

Stop talking like an Enid Blyton character. - Shan't!

I've just started the Looney by Spike Milligan having just finished Puckoon and also Funny Girl by Nick Hornby. Funny Girl is an imagining of a comedy actress in the 1960s and 70s. Very good.

I've also started reading Anger is an Energy by John Lydon.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th May 2020, 12:09 PM

Although revered throughout the world, I think those stories are very much underrated.

Bit of a.non sequitur (I studied at Cumbridge) but I know what you mean. Richmal Compton's William books are similarly popular but in my opinion underrated in terms of quality and quantity.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th May 2020, 3:52 PM

I've also started reading Anger is an Energy by John Lydon.

Great buke and far superior to No Irish..., which was enjoyable but focused on the done to death Pistols period and lacked flow due to the non-chronological approach and plethora of conflicting voices.
I'm reading 'The Best of Men Only'. It is total and utter f**king shit. 'Men Only' and there's not one man photographed. Ripoff.